DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the past month of so my battery has been getting really low,struggling to start the truck. So finally it wont turn over last night but it still has enough power to run the locks turn on the radio,lights etc. So i think the starter is pooched. But just incase i boost it and she fires up??. So now i know the batter doesnt have enough crankin amps to start the thing. Anyhow i figure i should taker for a good tour make sure my alternator is charging which it is. I do usually only make 5 or 10 min drives at a time so i figure it just might not have been charging enough, i have a 2000 watt system in the truck also however i did run 0 gauge wire and use a yellow top and it has been fine till lately. Well i get home shut it off and just happen to stare through the windows for a bit and notice my aftermarket deck flashing. So i found the problem the deck isnt fully turning off or on with the ignition. Ive already had this problem once and i re wired it which fixed the issue but now its doing it again so i have to manually power up and down the deck. Its a kenwood and i know for a fact the wiring is correct seeing ive already ripped it apart. Anyone have insights on wtf is going on its driving me nuts. Maybe i should yank the - terminal off for an hour and do a good reset?
Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
386 Posts
Why wait until it wont start to fix it??? If it has been acting up for a month, your truck is trying to tell you it is sick! Fix it before it lets you down.

Check or have the electrical system checked. If you don't have the proper equipment and/or knowledge, have a pro check it.

1) Check the battery, replace if needed.
2) Check the alternator output, repair as needed.
3) Check for voltage draw, trace and repair as needed.
4) The hardest one to test for is an intermittent draw/short.

Electrical problems can lead to very expensive repairs or even to fire. They need to be investigated and repaired now.

DON'T FORGET TO PROTECT YOUR HEARING WITH THAT 2000 WATTS. Having your ears ringing for the rest of your life is no fun. Trust me, I damaged mine in construction.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm going to bet that your battery is just plain ole tired. Big power stereo's without a power cap advance the life of a battery, even a yellow top. I'm not sure where in Ontario you are, but i'm going to bet your winters have been like ours here in Alberta. Damn cold, which hurts your battery even more. I'd pull the battery and have it tested. 9 times out of 10, the simplest solution is most definitley the correct one.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, its been kinda warm here lately so its hard to tell but the truck is starting up without issue the last couple days if i turn the deck on and off manually. Once it gets cold it will show if my suspicions are correct, and its just the radio.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
a single yellow top and a stock alternator, regardless or wire size, is not enough power to support 2000W rms power as well. Did you do the "big 3" as well? Any additional upgraded grounds?

That in itself could have killed your battery having to drain/recharge so ofter when you have the volume up...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Disconnect your positive battery cable and connect a test light between the cable and the battery terminal. If it lights the test light it has a draw on it. Remember to make sure your doors are closed (interior light) and anthing else you know of. It will help determine if you are losing power while the vehicle is not running.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks i will try the light test, and i have basically narrowed it down to being my radio. Also now considering an alternator upgrade, or removal of one amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts