DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Express Crew Cab with a 32 gallon tank. However, my gas gauge reads empty and the fuel light is on between 25-26 gals.
The dealership said that this is normal and that it considers the remaining 6 gals as "reserve".
Does anyone else have the same issue?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, I have evic on my express and I ran it down to 3 miles to empty. It only took 26.5 gallons.

·
Registered
709 Posts
In my experience with these Gauge's they never read correct. In my '98 it would take forever to drop to the half way mark and then you could almost see it drop to empty. It had the 26gal tank. On my '06 it's the opposite drops real fast to the half way point and takes forever to get to empty. It has the 34gal tank. I try to never let it get below 1/4 tank. When it gets to 1/4 I fill it up and it takes 22gals. A 1/4 tank should be 8.5 gals which makes 30.5gals so the gauge is off 3.5gals somewhere.

On my '98 1500 I had a 26gal tank and when it hit 1/8 tank on the gauge the light would come on and there was approx 6gals left. In my '06 2500 with the 34gal tank the light comes on at about 1/16 tank on the gauge and there is 7.5-8.5gals left.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't have a 32 gal. tank, but I do have a fuel gauge issue. The gauge reads either "E" or "F" most of the time, sometimes when I hit a big bump it will work correctly for a short time, but slowly go back to empty or full reading. I'm planning on taking it to the dealer for a diagnostic, but my friend told me that its most likely the fuel pump/sending unit. Looked up online, priced at $267. Would this be a hard project to replace on my own? I'm not the best mechanic, but I'm mechanically inclined, and as long as it didn't require extensive knowledge of the fuel system, or special tools, I would rather do the work myself vs. paying the dealership $70/hr. Afterthought, if just the sending unit portion was bad, could I go without replacing the whole pump assembly without causing damage to the fuel system or engine? Thanks for knowledge, and replies!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
My gas light comes on with 5 gallons left in the tank. Its not an issue, the remaining gas is necessary to keep the fuel pump cool. I usually don't let it get below 1/4 tank though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My gauge is slow to 1/2, then flies down to E...My light comes on at 75 MTE. I usually wait till 50-25 to fill, and usually takes 20-22 gal to the neck. I ran down to 5 MTE, and it still took 25 to the neck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts