DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have that popping noise in the frontend over bumps in turns? Strut? Cvs? Wanting to put a leveling kit on but want to figure this out first. So the dealer cant blame it on the lift.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I know the sound you are referring to. I have yet to determine what it is. :4-dontknow:

I moved this thread to the suspension section. Hopefully someone that has discovered what this is will see it and respond. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
It might be what I dealt with. First I had a bad body mount on the front passenger side that was causing a creaking noise almost like a old rocking chair.

Once that was replaced almost the same noise was still their but only when a heavier set person sat in the passenger side and I hit bumps or came to a stop.

Come to find out the heat shield on the passenger side between the frame and the body had a stud that was digging into the frame of the truck when their was weight put on it.

They grinded down the stud to the point it wasn't hitting anymore and the noise went away.

The dealership put in a Service Report and took pictures because they never seen it before

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed it a few times in a tight turn but mostly it seems like when im turning and my suspension has to flex. Like going from a flat surface to a hill.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i know there are 2 pieces of metal on the lower knuckle and lower control arm to keep you from turning the wheel to far, acts as a stop. this could be what your hearing, it causes a popping or a snapping noise. try taking so wheel bearin grease and putting a thin layer on each side of the truck on the lower knuckle. its usualling on the back side/ closes to the door. if i get time tomorrow i'll put my truck up on the lift and snap a few photos of what im talking and youll soon understand, but if you look you might see where metal has been making contact.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I have noticed this at all steering angles from straight ahead to full lock. I have noticed that the popping is least noticeable when straight, and increases with the amount of off center steering. It is a popping sound that I associate with failing struts, or a failing/worn-out upper strut mount.

I have never heard this at high speeds. It is most noticeable when pulling into a gravel parking lot at low speed where the lot is great need of grading (washboard).

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeeup you guys are dealing with the same issues I was dealing with. Its either the body mount (apparently dodge redesigned it mid 2011).

·
Registered
49 Posts
noise

I also hear it on my express,especially when going over bumps..going to the dealer tomorrow...also have them check out the torque convertor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts