DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the dealership to get a quote for my 2009 Ram key fobs to be replaced and programmed. Has anyone tried this at Ace Hardware? I have factory remote start and I'm hoping that it will work with the new fobs.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
669 Posts
Try a local locksmith, there is one here that does that. Also, you are close to the end of the timeframe that allowed the owner to program the keys and fobs themselves. Do a Google search on the procedure for the 2009 Ram to see how it's done. You might be able to do it but you might also need a functioning one. I bought mine from Ebay back them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I visited a local Ace and asked if they carried replacement fobs and the answer was no.
There are only certain Ace Hardware stores that do it. If you go on their website, you can filter stores by services offered. I had one 60 miles away that did it. Cost me $170 for the fob and the labor. The dealer wanted $450 for 2 fobs and said they only come in pairs.

Reactions: Roadhouse

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab | 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab
29 Posts
I've been to the dealership to get a quote for my 2009 Ram key fobs to be replaced and programmed. Has anyone tried this at Ace Hardware? I have factory remote start and I'm hoping that it will work with the new fobs.

Thanks,

Gary
Your best option is contacting a local locksmith that sells vehicle key fobs. Be extremely cautious when purchasing a used Fobik key fob as they do have a limited life expectancy based on usage. A locksmith is your cheaper option as most carry Ram 1500 factory fobs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was able to do this a few years back on a 2002 RAM that had RKE but didn't come with any FOB's. I bought the FOB's on ebay and the owner of the local hardware store charged me $20 to program the pair.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ordered 2 replacement keyfobs, for northcoast keyless($80, I think). Got alphaobd and programmed myself(not sure if appcar digafca, programs then. I believe you can have up to 10 keys, progammed to the car. Also, I've read in many forums(as I researched it extensively) one a fob is programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle(haven't so, maybe its possible). If you have to pay more than say $120, do it yourself.

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab | 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab
29 Posts
I ordered 2 replacement keyfobs, for northcoast keyless($80, I think). Got alphaobd and programmed myself(not sure if appcar digafca, programs then. I believe you can have up to 10 keys, progammed to the car. Also, I've read in many forums(as I researched it extensively) one a fob is programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle(haven't so, maybe its possible). If you have to pay more than say $120, do it yourself.
The fob key can be reprogrammed. The Fobik keys are set on Mhz frequencies that can changed to be used on other vehicles. They just can't be matched to two different vehicles at the same time. The key also can only be programmed to that specific line of vehicle. (I.E. A Dodge Caravan Fobik can not be used on a Chrysler Town&Country)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,

Gary
Yes. $169 including programming. Works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts