DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to have the engine torn down and rebuilt (fixing the plenum, modding the intake, etc.. while its apart)

I'd like to paint some parts under the hood while its apart, but I can't find any info on painting the aluminum intake manifold. Has anyone done this successfully?

I am aware of high temp engine enamels, but can't find anyone who has painted the aluminum intake. If I use an etching primer, I would think that would defeat the high temp properties of the top coat. And I'm worried that putting the engine enamels directly on the aluminum will eventually fail and flake.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'm about to have the engine torn down and rebuilt (fixing the plenum, modding the intake, etc.. while its apart)

I'd like to paint some parts under the hood while its apart, but I can't find any info on painting the aluminum intake manifold. Has anyone done this successfully?

I am aware of high temp engine enamels, but can't find anyone who has painted the aluminum intake. If I use an etching primer, I would think that would defeat the high temp properties of the top coat. And I'm worried that putting the engine enamels directly on the aluminum will eventually fail and flake.

Thanks for the input.
Well I also was thinking of painting my intake manifold. But for now I had bout an aluminum radiator so I painted the core with BBQ Paint and the tanks I painted with rust oleum engine enamel, chevy orange colour.

Well I can tell you that the engine enamel has a tendency to flake off a little, the reason in my case is because I didn't paint it in a proper environment and I didn't clean the metal. Anyway's it should be fine as long as you paint it in a garage or something and the metal is pretty clean, as long as their isn't any finger oil on it then A ok. Do a light spray, and don't get to thick that's my advice. To thick and it won't dry properly and it will easily chip. Make sure to let the paint cure for 7 days... And if for the first time driving it you smell a burning it's just the paint don't worry about it!

Oh don't use any caustic or alkaline chemicals to clean aluminum duh.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts