DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I would like to get rid of some of the exhaust noise inside of the cab, since I did the exhaust system the noise from it is pretty loud in the cab. Thinking about getting some fat mat off of ebay and doing behind the rear seats and both rear doors, maybe even the front doors too. Do you think its worth it? anyone think this will even make a difference? other than getting rid of the exhaust noise I dont have any other reason for wanting to sound proof the cab, road noise isnt too bad. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fat Mat will help with resonances and vibration of the body of the truck and interior panels. If you want to block out the exhaust and road noise MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) or CCF (Closed Cell Foam) are better suited for that task. Here is a link for a site that sells all types of sound deadening products. There are others too, this one is just recommended often.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fat Mat will help with resonances and vibration of the body of the truck and interior panels. If you want to block out the exhaust and road noise MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) or CCF (Closed Cell Foam) are better suited for that task. Here is a link for a site that sells all types of sound deadening products. There are others too, this one is just recommended often.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
thanks for the info and link Mike, do you think if I got that stuff I should do the floor? maybe just go panel by panel and see how much of a difference it is making?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
MY truck is covered in these guys products (they are sponsors on the audio forum)
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

After i covered the interior in this stuff you can barely here the truck with the windows closed when I take the pipes off and am running catless ARHs with open I pipe. I love it and recommend it to everyone

·
Registered
206 Posts
thanks for the info and link Mike, do you think if I got that stuff I should do the floor? maybe just go panel by panel and see how much of a difference it is making?
Treating the floor is going to help with the exhaust and road noise greatly. With my last truck, all of the interior except the dash was removed and then covered in fat mat, 95% of all of the metal surfaces were treated and it did make a noticeable difference. Later when I replaced the carpeting, a foam underlay was put in as well and that did much more to cut out exhaust and road noise than just using the fat mat.

I can't really tell you how much to treat, its a lot of work to do it all and not cheap either. The floor and rear cab wall will be the most labor intensive, so if you want to test it out then do a couple of the doors first and see what improvements it makes.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
A lot of the sound deadning ompanies say shoot for 75% coverage minimum for best results

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got Stinger roadkill on the doors and roof and couldn't be happier--I've also got 1200 watts of subwoofer though and needed the support.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys!, deffinetly will be expensive, shipping up here will be more than the product itself for the most part, I am still going to weigh my options, the exhaust noise doesnt bother me greatly but it is loud. If I had known it would be like that I would have had the muffler shop relocate the muffler more under the box instead of leaving it under the cab

·
Banned
437 Posts
I did practically the entire interior of my 2000 2500 in DynaMat. It helped immensely with the road noise and improved the acoustics, but what a pain. Not feeling the need to do the same on my '12 Ram. Some pics of the 2000.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pics, I have noticed from my 04 to my parents 08 laramie the sound proofing in their truck is ALOT better I imagine the new ones are better yet

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about keeping the old stock exhaust and wiring an external speaker at the rear of truck. You could tape the sound of a loud flowmaster,borla or magna flow and run it through your audio system ?? Seriously, this is an issue I'm having. I'd love to get a loud aftermarket exhaust set up but I also want high end audio. Its one or the other in my opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't done my 2012 Ram yet but all my other vehicles my wife's car and even parts on my Harley's I have used Dynamat or Hushmat and have always been happy with the results

If you want to do a cool comparison and see for yourself how well this stuff works take the plate off your Ram and put three strips on the back of the plate now take the plate off another vehicle and leave it be go to the street your paved driveway or garage and drop the non deadened plate - sounds like a tin can now drop the deadened plate - THUD there ya go haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts