DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Ram with the base stereo, has bluetooth enabled with steering wheel controls and has Satellite radio. It all works good. My question is will a 430n (Nav w/myGig) plug and play? Anyone done this? My Wife's '08 has the RER Nav and works nicely...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you have the steering wheel controls already? Most radios are plug and play but you may have to install the sat/nav antenna. Might want to consider aftermarket...cheaper, more flexible, cheaper, more features, cheaper, more quality, cheaper.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the steering wheel controls, and the sat antennae. I like the RER in my wife's car, although it has the navteq software. My Dakota that I just sold, I had installed the Kenwood KNA-G610 with Nav, backup camera and bluetooth for the phone. The stereo was nice, but the bluetooth/microphone was horrendous, and I like the factory one for the clarity. At the end of the day after the Kenwood was installed (by myself) with the Nav, I was into it for 1000.00. There's a couple of 430n's out there for the same dough. Can't bring myself to start throwing aftermarket stuff in just yet... hell it took me 13 years to mod the Kenwood into the Dak!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
with the steering wheel control & everything that you have, it should be Plug & Play

check out
www.oemautopartsco.com

use their technical advice & everything else that you need

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have the radio with sat. but no steering wheel controls for it. (Express) So does that mean I could not get one of the used Nav models or Uconnect ones and install one? Or will it work I just wont have the steering wheel controls on it?

·
Registered
801 Posts
the steering wheel controls are just an accessory to the system. You can swap the radio out for a NAV unit. direct plug n play. (with the 430 N), if you get the 730N then it will still be a PnP setup but you will need a mic harness or external mic, a USB cable and have the truck flashed by the dealer for the 730N radio,

I have the radio with sat. but no steering wheel controls for it. (Express) So does that mean I could not get one of the used Nav models or Uconnect ones and install one? Or will it work I just wont have the steering wheel controls on it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, now I have to figure out whether to spend the extra on the 730n or be satisfied with the 430n... Are the differences worth the money? From the OEM...no, but from re-sellers, the difference can be as little as 100-200 bucks...

·
Registered
801 Posts
50% like the 430N and 50% like the 730N. Maybe you can go by the dealer to try both and then make a decision. It's more a personal liking thing. One thing to mention is that the 430N is compatible with more phones.

Well, now I have to figure out whether to spend the extra on the 730n or be satisfied with the 430n... Are the differences worth the money? From the OEM...no, but from re-sellers, the difference can be as little as 100-200 bucks...

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was researching a Grand Cherokee everybody said just get the 430N. The Garmin navigation is better and the bluetooth was supposedly more reliable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have a 1500 Express. I have the base radio with Uconnect and Sirius. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 430N when my 1 year free Sirus is up. What is the NAV antenna? Is it built into the sat radio antenna?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also have a 1500 Express. I have the base radio with Uconnect and Sirius. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 430N when my 1 year free Sirus is up. What is the NAV antenna? Is it built into the sat radio antenna?
If you have satellite radio you're good to go, same antenna

1 - 12 of 12 Posts