DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New guy here. Very seriously thinking about buying a Regular Cab Short Bed 4x4 Truck. Debating between the Ram and the F150.

I've had a mildly build Tacoma regular cab and a Wrangler rubicon in the past, and done all of the Colorado trails with those.

Reason is I am in the market for a truck. Most of the time here in Minnesota a full size truck is advantageous over a Tacoma. But for that one week a year I like to go to Colorado and do some 4x4ing, where I am not sure a Full Size will fit, even a Regular cab Short Bed.

Mainly thinking Engineer pass, Imogene Pass, Ophir Pas, etc. Maybe Lead king basin area above Marble. Black Bear would definitely be out.
I'm thinking the scariest part would be the thin shelf roads up near the top of the pass. Also Engineer on the Ouray side and Imogene on the Telluride side I remember as being fairly thin.

Now I've seen Hummer H1's and H2's up there, and both are wider than a Ram 1500.
The regular cab short bed has a tighter turning radius than a Wrangler Unlimited, or a Tacoma Extended Cab. It's just wider.

I've been searching all over for pics. Any personal experience?

These are my choices really. Being a Dodge forum, I would guess you guys lean more hevily towards the Ram side of things.

• Dodge Ram, Regular Cab 6'4" Bed (Express package)
    • 209" length
    • 120" wheelbase
    • 39.7' turning circle
    • 79.4" wide
    • off-road tires, mild lift, high clearnace front bumper and skid plates added to cure low approach and departure angles
    • factory limited slip rear end, and maybe an ARB or similar locker in the front
  • Ford F150 5.0, Regular Cab 6'6" Bed (About $3000+ more expensive, slower, no Ram Box)
    • 213.2" length
    • 125.9" wheelbase
    • 41.7' turning circle
    • 79.2" wide
    • off-road tires and mild lift, high clearnace front bumper added to cure low approach and departure angles
    • factory selectable locker rear end, and factory skid plates
  • Toyota Tacoma, Extended Cab, 6' Bed (About $2500 more expensive, but much smaller and more cramped inside!)
    • 208.1" length
    • 127.8" wheelbase
    • 40.7' turning circle
    • 74.6" wide
    • off-road tires and mild lift added to cure the angle thing
    • factory selectable locker rear end, and factory skid plates

Length and turning circles are very comparable. The interiors of the F150 and the Ram are also so much nicer and more comfortable than the Tacoma. I like the Ford seats better. Everything else about the Ram Interior I like better. The Ram sounds better, even versus the 5.0 .I feel like the engineering of the Ford is more solid, and I love the locking rear axle. But man the Ram is just more fun to drive.

And they're both only 5" wider than the Tacoma.

Really close to pulling the trigger on a Ram with the Rambox. Just looking for more input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Surprising how long it took someone to answer this.

I ended up going with the Ford. I think it's better set up for off-road. While I love the Hemi and the interior of the Ram, I think the ram shines more on-road. It's the hot-rod of all of the trucks. I ended up going with the slower, more off-road setup Ford.

Have a good one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts