DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a lot of issues with noise interference and having to turn the squelch up halfway or more just to tune it out. I know some of it is vehicle related because i can hear the whine increase with throttle but im not sure if the rest is setup related or unavoidable.

Im running a uniden pro510xl, firewhip 4' antenna, and firering coax. Ive been through the gambit of ideas like direct power, grounding to the frame, etc. My SWR is under 1.5 and ive tried a mag mount generic antenna as well and i have the same issues as the firestick. Even the ANL button doesnt get rid of it all and at some times its pinging the red light for TX and no amount of squelch except full on clears it up. I bought the gear from right channel radios and he offered lots of suggestions but eventually ran out of ideas. Somewhere i swear i read that ram trucks have grounding issues that can cause this sort of problem so now im hear seeing if anyone has insight. Ive got a 2016 ram 1500 big horn.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
You don't say what year your truck is. If it is a little older I think it could be a grounding issue with the truck. You might just want to start checking all your grounds and redoing them to see if it helps. Do you have the issues when the truck is not running?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't say what year your truck is. If it is a little older I think it could be a grounding issue with the truck. You might just want to start checking all your grounds and redoing them to see if it helps. Do you have the issues when the truck is not running?
its a 2016. Ive tried it with the truck not running at home and its better but not completely. Im too far in the hills though to pickup anyone to know if the receiving got better or not.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I just had 3" of my Wilson 5000 antenna cut off to get a much better SWR match than i had
My antenna is center mounted on the roof & the cable is not coiled at any point.

I am running a Ranger 6900 F150 that has recently been tuned & a
Roadking 56 Noise Cancelling Microphone

I also have a spare CB, it is one of the newer
Uniden BEARCAT 980 40- Channel SSB CB Radio with Sideband NOAA WeatherBand, 7- Color Digital Display PA/CB Switch and Noise Cancelling Mic,
It works in my 2016 Ram also, but i prefer the Ranger

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
COnstant hig pitched that inceases with rpm?
Put an alternator whione filter in your 12v power supply.

if popping kind of noise, likely spark plug internference.cause could be llugs, wires orn coilpacks. need to check each of them.

Could also be crap antennae.

use seperate 12v battery nto hooked up to anything to power up the db and see if noise goes away. if so, engine related. if not, antenae related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts