DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Alvanaxe

Ug... Canada Amazon isn't like USA Amazon... can't seem to find 24" straps unless I pay about $100.... oddly auto part stores don't seem to list them under parts.

So... you had 1 strap between the 2 valve covers near the firewall, and 1 strap where my photo shows near the front under where the oil goes, I guess to the trucks body/firewall and ran one from the valve cover there as well? Just the bare woven wire, no cover on it or anything just laid across whatever?

Was 24" more than enough? or barely long enough?

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Alvanaxe

Ug... Canada Amazon isn't like USA Amazon... can't seem to find 24" straps unless I pay about $100.... oddly auto part stores don't seem to list them under parts.

So... you had 1 strap between the 2 valve covers near the firewall, and 1 strap where my photo shows near the front under where the oil goes, I guess to the trucks body/firewall and ran one from the valve cover there as well? Just the bare woven wire, no cover on it or anything just laid across whatever?

Was 24" more than enough? or barely long enough?
Oh no, sorry about the Canada Amazon, that is a bummer! You can try to do what I had done over the summer before I put in the braided cables. It worked just as well for the duration, just not a long term fix.

I took some trailer wiring like the below and cut off a couple sections. Just enough to reach from drivers side valve cover to passenger side valve cover and then from the passenger side valve cover to the passenger side fender wall.
Textile Gadget Font Cable Wire

I then clamped the ends with some ring connectors like below.
Tool Office supplies Bicycle part Metal Fashion accessory

I connected one new wire with the loop to the drivers side valve cover, middle bolt
Automotive tire Hood Blue Motor vehicle Tread

From there, I ran the other end to the passenger side valve cover, same middle bolt.
Blue Light Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable

From there, I ran wire to the fender side wall to ground out both valve cover sides.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Ultimately looking like this:
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Cable

This worked like a charm until I was able to get my braided cables installed over the fall. This should be a good work around for you until the winter is done which hopefully at that time you can snag some braided cables off amazon or ebay perhaps? Here is a canada link: UNIVERSAL 24" COPPER TINNED BRAIDED GROUND STRAP CABLE - ENGINE, FIREWALL, FRAME | eBay

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How do you take the app out i located under the battery but unable to take it out.
Gotta go up from underneath. Basically take out the plastic around the front driver side wheel, then I think it was 3 bolts holding it in. Once down, pop it open and pull off the cable going to the pedal, and of course the large plug with the wires.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This worked like a charm until I was able to get my braided cables installed over the fall. This should be a good work around for you until the winter is done which hopefully at that time you can snag some braided cables off amazon or ebay perhaps? Here is a canada link: UNIVERSAL 24" COPPER TINNED BRAIDED GROUND STRAP CABLE - ENGINE, FIREWALL, FRAME | eBay
Funny thing is, I asked the local car shop/mechanic about getting some braided cables, thinking probably has a spool of it and makes it as needed, but nope... said he never uses the stuff just grab 8-10AWG coated wire and crimp the ends on. Apparently all he ever uses. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I do like the idea of coated wires vs bare wires bouncing around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@Alvanaxe been a while but snow finally gone, finally able to get some work done. Had a better look and all grounding straps are gone off the truck's engine... Just little nubbins of where they once were.

Instead of buying the braided wire for grounding, I bought a 5-point grounding kit off Amazon. 5 various lengths of coated 8 gauge wire with the ring terminals attached.

Should be here in a week... Fingers crossed it fixes the issues. Seems promising given that I apparently don't have the engine grounded at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
UPDATE

So, I bought a $35CAD grounding kit off Amazon. Was cheaper/easier than buying a $30 roll of 8AWG, terminal rings, pliers for crimping etc... Nice wires, not stiff plastic coated so fingers crossed it survives Canadian winter.

The bolts in the valve covers were a bit weird and rings wouldn't slide over the ridges so cut a split into the ring, bent it, put it above the washer/rubber and flattened it. Holes were too small to fit directly against the valve covers but bolts are metal so this worked.

3 sizes of wires. I ran the mid-sized wire from the passenger side valve cover, over the engine and beside the spark plug wires, over to the driver side. On the same bolt, I ran a long cable from there to the grounding point behind the battery. I ran the short wire from there to the negative terminal on the battery replacing the original one. I ran the other long cable from the alternator direct to the positive terminal of the battery, leaving the original wire there.

I have yet to get under and give another look. I have 1 extra mid-sized cable left and I know the engine block has a ground point but not yet found it.

Been over a month so far, and so far I have had no error messages, or issues where the truck would start, run 3 seconds and shut off. I had an Error P0339, crankshaft sensor... error seems to be gone, sadly, too late to return the part. Grabbed it because last in stock, Dorman brand so $30CAD not $125CAD like the MOPAR part. Had a hunch maybe related to grounding issues and seems like it. If not I have the part.

Sucks though. Had it at the Dodge Dealer, and the mechanic in town. Replaced the throttle body with one from the wreckers.... few weeks had issues again so bought a new one. Then had to source out the APP sensor and replace that as well, all because the "professionals" told me to. All came down to $35 worth of grounding straps.

@Alvanaxe thanks again for your post. This truck has been off the road for 3yrs because of this (plus needed all new pads/rotors/calipers, front bearings and new tires).

Only issue now... seeping oil. $1000CAD to replace a $100CAD oil pan because have to lift the engine up, or drop the front down. Sheesh. Just patching that for now. Hate doing it, but, rather spend $1000 towards a newer truck.

Font Cable Auto part Electric blue Wire

·
Registered
11 Posts
Totally Awesome! So glad that worked for you as well! Mine is still going great too! No more red lightning bolt or any other weird problems! Just a smoky exhaust but as I have heard it before with Hemi's "if it ain't smokin, it must be broken! " so I am taking that as it should be fine for the 2500ish miles I put on it a year.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts