DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get my ARE cap from my non Rambox 2500 to work on my new Power Wagon with ramboxes.

I only use my topper for 3 months a year during college football tailgate season. But I like the more secure from the elements storage it provides. But my new Power Wagon came with ramboxes. So I got yeh Topper EZ lift system that has been mentioned in the site before.

The steps were as followed

1. Ordered the Topper EZ-Lift
2. Trimmed the downard turned lip off oft he sides of my cap. This lipwrapped around the edge of the truck bed on my old non Rambox truck. Would have been turned down into the middle of the ramboxes now.
3. Purchased 2 pieces of 3/16ths aluminum that were 9" x 74"
4. Bought 8 1/2" by 1 and 1/2" carriage bolts and corresponding nuts.
5. Clamped the aluminum to the bottom of the cap and drilled the holes and bolted the aluminum to the cap to extended and reinforce the bottom of the cap which is want is lifted.
6. Install the EZ lift per instructions.

Couple of nice notes. The lifters attach perfectly into the accessory rail that came with the ramboxes so no holes needed to be drilled in the sides.

There are holes in the sides where the lifters get placed allowing me to run all the wiring under the truck nothing is visible in the bed.

I will get a picture with it extended. But here is a picture with the cap on and the truck fully loaded following the tailgate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Looks good in the down position

Personally i would like to see images of the mounting points when it is raised & lowered

In the video that i watched, it was just a teaser, they showed the video from the side of the Ram & i for one felt cheated
The video should have been from the rear with the tailgate opened

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will try to get that for you. It definitely sags when airborne but they did say to expect that when I talked to them in person. But once I can empty the truck tomorrow I will get more pictures

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
So you did end up deciding on a camper shell with the lift mechanism. Looks good!

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes put it all in on Wednesday/Thursday first game was this weekend. I was happy with my decision .

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Additional pictures. These were taken with it only roughly leveled. I do not have a completely level place to level everything. Will be taking it to my buddy's lift for a final level. But it held up well for it's trial voyage!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah that is a very cool setup

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Thank you for the PIX

Great job

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's possible there could be. The trouble is there is a lot of pressure when moving up and down and I wouldn't want to just use the fiberglass of the cap itself.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
This is positively KILLING me, to compliment a MSU fan, but that does look nifty neat.

God, that hurt almost as much as when I had to cheer for Nebraska, in a bowl game, after they joined the BIG.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been there. I appreciate the effort it took to compliment me. I am just glad it worked. I will make some changes this spring to make it look nicer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I've taken the plunge, but I'm doing it with some Windy City linear actuators and will fab it all up. I drove 16 hours round trip to Nebraska for the ARE Z-series topper and just cut the side lips off. I measured the side covers width and then factored in my tonneau cover brackets (as I plan to leave all of that in place if I want to remove the topper and run the tonneau cover) and left some of the front lip as a guide.

In the next week or two, I'll start on an aluminum frame and build a semi-skeleton support structure on the inside, along with the brackets and bolt-it into the bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been there. I appreciate the effort it took to compliment me. I am just glad it worked. I will make some changes this spring to make it look nicer.
Do you have maybe a .5" gap from the front of the topper lip to the front of the bed? It seems if I position it all the way forward to where they're mated together, the back end of the topper is sitting higher up on the bed rails.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No the lip on my topper was butted up against the cab side of the bed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was thinking about doing the lifters with my 1500 that had the ARE installed. I have a 2500 with a LEER now, but I wasn't really interested in doing the lifters anymore. After seeing you and Jimbo doing yours, I think a neat idea would be to do them, and add some type of vinyl/canvas baffle between the top and bed when lifted, to kind of make it more camping friendly and just use the bed/cap as the tent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts