DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although there are tons of information and some really great videos of sound system upgrades on these trucks. I thought I would document my build as I don't have access to all the cool tools that some of these custom car stereo shops have, like a 3D printer, lasers, routing table...ect. I'm not building a massive sound system but something that will sound better than this Alpine system in my truck.

I bought my 17 Ram 1500 about five weeks ago. Only 23k on it and as close to brand new as I have ever had for a vehicle. The previous owner had dual subs under the back seat as I can still see the rings imprinted. That being said the factory sub was removed (Alpine system) but was not replaced when it was traded in. The front door 6x9s were also replaced with 2 or 3 way speakers that are really bright and overpowering the rest of the the highs. Overall it sounds like poop. We are going to fix that.

Speakers:
Morel CCWR 254 2.5 Speakers for the left and right front dash.
Morel Maximo 6.5 Separates for the front door speakers.

Sub:
JL Audio Stealth 10" W3v3 2ohm

Amps:
JBL DSP/AMP 4086 - 8 Channel class D 40W per channel
Skar Audio 800.1D - Mono class D rated at 600x1 @ 2 ohms

Speaker Adapters:
3.5" - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N688M3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
6x9 to 6.5 - Amazon.com: Universal 6"x9" 6x9 to 6 1/2" 6.5 Speaker Adapter Spacer Rings - SAK045_55-1 Pair : Electronics

Wiring:
PAC AmpPro AP4-CH41
PAC APH-CH01
Skar Audio 6 channel RCAs SKAR6CH-RCA17
Skar Audio Y-Adapter 2xSKARRCA-1F2M
SKAR0ANL-OFC Amp Wiring Kit

This is my foundation with more info and pics to come.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm glad this came up because I want to update my system in 2016 2500. I ordered it to my specs and I ordered it with the alpine upgrade. Wondering what I can do to enhance the sound quality with spending an obscene amount of money. I'm not replacing the head unit just the speakers and amp I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm glad this came up because I want to update my system in 2016 2500. I ordered it to my specs and I ordered it with the alpine upgrade. Wondering what I can do to enhance the sound quality with spending an obscene amount of money. I'm not replacing the head unit just the speakers and amp I guess.
Completely understood. You can most likely can take more of a staged approach if you have the factory sub. Since mine is removed and the factory system is tuned to have all mid and low bass come out the sub, mine sounds like crap.

If keeping the factory radio...you need something to give you a signal for aftermarket amps. The best reviewed and most cost effective solution I found was the PAC system. What's confusing is that you can use one or the other or both depending on how you want to build. It's not stated or sold that way, but it's the reality of what you can do with these products.

PAC AmpPro AP4-CH41 - gives you the flat signal which is ideal for aftermarket - you could then run new wires to each speaker, or run wire to the the factory amp location and splice into the factory wiring.

PAC APH-CH01 - Allows access to the signal going into the factory amp and access to the wiring output of the amp. One could get high level outputs using this kit and feed it into a DSP or converter. It also allows access to the output wires so it's also ideal for taping into the factory speaker wiring without cutting anything. In my case I'm going to use the the AP4-CH41 to get a flat signal and use the six RCA outs to feed into my JBL DSP/AMP and Skar Audio sub Amp. Then use the APH-CH01 to continue to run the front center channel and rear surround speakers in the truck celling off the factory amp, but tap the output speakers to leverage the 40 watts per channel for the doors and the dash channels. I will tune the system to give the front stage more presence and use the rear channels for fill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So the aftermarket speakers that the previous owner installed in the front doors...I found these monsters. These are way too big...required mounting depth for these are 3-3/16. They tried to use a spacer but the spacer was too thin and was loose, rattling between the speaker and the door. I'm glad they used factory connectors and didn't cut wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crap...I don't know if it's well known public knowledge, but for some reason Dodge/Ram used a different speaker connector for the dash speakers than the door speakers.

The dash uses: Metra 72-7902
Door speakers: Metra 72-6514

I didn't know that until I tried to put the dash speakers in. Oh well...I ordered a new set and I will rewire and try again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update...so I was ready to start working on wiring this morning and I found this little treat attached to the factory harness.

Ugh!! Someone hacked up the factory harness to put this piece of crap inline...

Now I have to get this sorted out before I do anything else! The thing that pisses me off is that this previous owner could have bought a wiring harness for 30 bucks that would have allowed anyone else to reverse this nonsense. I see all this electrical tape and it I have to wonder if the wires are soldered...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts