DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright im ready to upgrade my stock 7 speaker infinity system but im gunna take it step by step. First thing i wanna do is just a plain speaker swap! Now i know stock sizes are 6x9 in front and the rears will take a 6.5 speaker but can i do 6.5's in the front and rear or should i stick to 6x9s in front? Im going with Kicker speakers! Can someone suggest a model over another? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was looking for info also. I found it in the Custom Audio/Video forum below the General Forum.

Mike...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive done lots of research and looks like im gunna buy the Kicker 11KS69 6x9's for the front and the Kicker 11KS65 6.5's for the rear! Anybody wanna talk me out of it or have a better choice in speakers? And do i need adapters for the rears to fit the 6.5's?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would suggest going with a radio first. It's been quite a few years since I've been in the audio industry but back when I was doing it, just a speaker replacement didn't help for better sound. Reason being is that the source is a big part of what determines the sound quality.

Also, factory systems are designed to work together and it's possible to "lose" sound with an aftermarket speaker and factory radio. This was very true in the late 90's and early 2000 vehicles. I have to imagine it's similar now a days.

But I could be wrong considering today's factory radios are far superb to 12 years ago. Just wanted to chine in with my .01 cent...

yes i know its .02 cents but my wife took my other penny so I only have .01 cent left... lol

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
GO with a headunit with a good EQ first, that will make the stock speakers much better to begin with.

Audio companys put their best technology into 6.5 component set and youll get your best bang for the buck doing away from 6x9s and into matched comp sets. Ive always been a kicker fan but recently Rockford has put out some of the better stuff in the 100-150 range.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I really wanna update my head unit but i hear its a real pain in the ass and expensive to get it to work right :(

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
what do you mean work right? IDK about 3rd gens but in 4th gens its one adapter harness and go? I cant see it being more complicated on an older model?? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not to hard to do. I put in a pioneer avic Z-110bt in to mine about a year ago. It took me probably 2 hours to install. I would recommend do the radio upgrade first though, the sound difference is phenomenal. Then if you aren't happy with that or want even better quality I would go with JBL Audio for your speakers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You really should start with a new head unit. Adding a decent component speaker setup should also be done in conjunction with an amplifier. This may sound silly but you run a better chance of damaging a set of speaker by under powering them, they are intended to be run off 50-75+ watts and a stock radio puts out closer to 15-20 watts. Even aftermarket head units rarely put out more than 50 watts per channel at peak.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
206 Posts
The 4200 is a good model with a nice 7" screen, though it has been replaced with newer models 4300(2010-2011) and 4400(2012). I just ordered the 4400 and my buddy has the 4300 in his Ram. If you don't want the navigation then it is a great choice. When comparing these models the performance will be about the same, the differences are the additional features, read: Bells and Whistles, that they add each year. For instance the 4400 offers HD Radio and Bluetooth as built-in features where as they were an additional option in previous year models that required purchasing additional equipment.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found a great price on the 4300! Gunna go with it instead!

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks bud i hope it goes well! Im thinking about rewiring everything to avoid all this harness and factory amp bypass crap.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just ordered the 2012 Pioneer AVH-P4400BH head unit, Kicker 12" L7, Nav Dash, AI Dash Kit, PAC Harness, RF Amp Kit! Gunna hold out on components til they completely take a shit! Updates and pics coming at the end of the week!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks bud i hope it goes well! Im thinking about rewiring everything to avoid all this harness and factory amp bypass crap.
Mine was installed over the weekend and it worked out great. Ran into a little problem with locating a couple of wires for some accessories I added to the receiver but luckily I have a friend who is an installer and he emailed me the entire wiring diagram for all of the electrical wiring on the truck. That sure came in handy, and will again in the future I assume. If you run into trouble send me a PM and I'll send you a copy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DO you think it would be the same for my 08? If so send it to me! It would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry, didn't even check to see your year model Ram. The diagram is 2010 specific so i'm not sure how much help it would be.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya i need to start finding diagrams and such to help smooth out the install

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The goodies are starting to arrive!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts