DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Audio Guys... Need Some Advice!

1582 Views 19 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  nYmPhMoBiLe08
Alright im ready to upgrade my stock 7 speaker infinity system but im gunna take it step by step. First thing i wanna do is just a plain speaker swap! Now i know stock sizes are 6x9 in front and the rears will take a 6.5 speaker but can i do 6.5's in the front and rear or should i stick to 6x9s in front? Im going with Kicker speakers! Can someone suggest a model over another? Thanks guys!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
You really should start with a new head unit. Adding a decent component speaker setup should also be done in conjunction with an amplifier. This may sound silly but you run a better chance of damaging a set of speaker by under powering them, they are intended to be run off 50-75+ watts and a stock radio puts out closer to 15-20 watts. Even aftermarket head units rarely put out more than 50 watts per channel at peak.

· Registered
206 Posts
The 4200 is a good model with a nice 7" screen, though it has been replaced with newer models 4300(2010-2011) and 4400(2012). I just ordered the 4400 and my buddy has the 4300 in his Ram. If you don't want the navigation then it is a great choice. When comparing these models the performance will be about the same, the differences are the additional features, read: Bells and Whistles, that they add each year. For instance the 4400 offers HD Radio and Bluetooth as built-in features where as they were an additional option in previous year models that required purchasing additional equipment.

· Registered
206 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Thanks bud i hope it goes well! Im thinking about rewiring everything to avoid all this harness and factory amp bypass crap.
Mine was installed over the weekend and it worked out great. Ran into a little problem with locating a couple of wires for some accessories I added to the receiver but luckily I have a friend who is an installer and he emailed me the entire wiring diagram for all of the electrical wiring on the truck. That sure came in handy, and will again in the future I assume. If you run into trouble send me a PM and I'll send you a copy.

· Registered
206 Posts
Sorry, didn't even check to see your year model Ram. The diagram is 2010 specific so i'm not sure how much help it would be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.