DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2019 Limited this week and one thing that does not work is the auto dimming headlights. I had them on my 2016 Laramie eco diesel and know how they should work.
I have them turned on in settings and the head light switch is in the auto position. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just picked up my 2019 Limited this week and one thing that does not work is the auto dimming headlights. I had them on my 2016 Laramie eco diesel and know how they should work.
I have them turned on in settings and the head light switch is in the auto position. Is there anything else that needs to be done?
You’re missing a step... Push the turn signal stock forward. That activates it.

Cheers,
Neurobit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re missing a step... Push the turn signal stock forward. That activates it.

Cheers,
Neurobit
I have the turn signal headlight switch pushed forward into high beam mode, all that accomplishes is to high beam on coming traffic. They never dim unless done manually. My 2016 laramie indicated auto high beams activated, I get no such indication.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the turn signal headlight switch pushed forward into high beam mode, all that accomplishes is to high beam on coming traffic. They never dim unless done manually. My 2016 laramie indicated auto high beams activated, I get no such indication.
That doesn’t sound right. High beams activate if you pull towards you (away from the dash), not pushing the stock forward.

Here are the steps to enable auto high beam (from the manual):

1. The Automatic High Beams are enabled through the
Uconnect system. Refer to “Uconnect Settings” in “Mul-
timedia” for further information.

2. Turn the headlight switch to the AUTO headlight posi-
tion.

3. Push the multifunction lever away from you (toward
front of vehicle) to engage the high beam mode.

NOTE: The Automatic High Beams will not activate until
the vehicle is at or above 12 mph (20 km/h).

·
Registered
2018 1500 Sport
168 Posts
This is a new feature, to me. I tried them but am not sold. They don't always kick on immediately after passing a car. I live in south Jersey. Tons of deer out, this time of year. Also they kick to low beam, way too early.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is a new feature, to me. I tried them but am not sold. They don't always kick on immediately after passing a car. I live in south Jersey. Tons of deer out, this time of year. Also they kick to low beam, way too early.
Your profile shows you have a 2018. We are discussing 2019s.
Not sure about prior years. On 2019s, it works w/o issues.

·
Registered
2018 1500 Sport
168 Posts
ah, didn't realize there was a difference in the operation of this function between the two years. Muh bad.

·
Registered
301 Posts
ah, didn't realize there was a difference in the operation of this function between the two years. Muh bad.
Well, IDK, but it may be different. My last RAM was a 2006 so AHB had not been invented yet.
I tested on mine on my trip to FL, and high beam switched fast every time. Once there were no other traffic within range in front or back it would switch back to high beam.

Performs well as my prior ones on BMW & Mercedes.

Cheers,
Neurobit

·
Registered
14 Posts
That doesn’t sound right. High beams activate if you pull towards you (away from the dash), not pushing the stock forward.

Here are the steps to enable auto high beam (from the manual):

1. The Automatic High Beams are enabled through the
Uconnect system. Refer to “Uconnect Settings” in “Mul-
timedia” for further information.

2. Turn the headlight switch to the AUTO headlight posi-
tion.

3. Push the multifunction lever away from you (toward
front of vehicle) to engage the high beam mode.

NOTE: The Automatic High Beams will not activate until
the vehicle is at or above 12 mph (20 km/h).
You just contradicted yourself on that. First you said to pull back (towards the driver) to engage high beams, then in your listed steps from the manual you say to push forward (away from the driver). The latter is correct. I severely doubt the opperation of the smartbeam lamps and multifunction switch have been changed. If you pull back and hold on the stock it turns on all of the lights for as long as it's held.
As far as them not working correctly, this is a long shot but is exactly what happened to my '05 and '10 grand Cherokee limiteds. In VT, the inspection sticker is mounted high center. In doing this the dealerships accidentally blocked the eye for the smartbeams that is Incorporated into the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You pull towards you for manual high beam operation, like if you need to flash your highs at someone or put it in high beam, then you pull on the stock.

To engage auto-high beam, you push towards the front. Pretty clear.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This sure was much simpler when the turn signal stalk was just used for turn signals, and there was a button on the floor for the high/low beams and a switch on the dash for the wipers. Don't know why we have to have a single lever that combines this. I've afraid that if I make the wrong combinations of moves, I might get an un-expected in-seat colonoscopy that shows up on the UConnect screen.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This sure was much simpler when the turn signal stalk was just used for turn signals, and there was a button on the floor for the high/low beams and a switch on the dash for the wipers. Don't know why we have to have a single lever that combines this. I've afraid that if I make the wrong combinations of moves, I might get an un-expected in-seat colonoscopy that shows up on the UConnect screen.
Agree, but regarding AHB, it's been like this in my last three vehicles, on the same stalk, so seems to be sort of std across makes, which is a good thing for muscle memory.

Cheers,
Neurobit

·
Registered
247 Posts
There was a switch on the dash? For real?? I'm 46 .....so, my mom's car had a switch on the dash when I grew up? I remember the 8 track tho!! And I think she didn't have power steering because it was hard for me to turn.

Truthfully, the AHB works flawlessly. It's pretty standard on German cars.

This isn't directed at you....just a general joke: I always joke with ppl who don't like computers, iPads, smartphones and TV remotes.......go get your 12 year old and they'll show you how. It's all simple to them because they've grown up with technology from day 1. Me personally ....I love it all

·
Registered
771 Posts
There was a switch on the dash? For real?? I'm 46 .....so, my mom's car had a switch on the dash when I grew up? I remember the 8 track tho!! And I think she didn't have power steering because it was hard for me to turn.

This isn't directed at you....just a general joke: I always joke with ppl who don't like computers, iPads, smartphones and TV remotes.......go get your 12 year old and they'll show you how. It's all simple to them because they've grown up with technology from day 1. Me personally ....I love it all
I know how to work technology, I'm just not a fan of unnecessary technology. Some things were just fine as they were and then, in the name of (progress, modernization, style, technology capabilities....pick your reason), things that didn't need to be "fixed" where changed, and ultimately, more problems created. Going way back to the 70's when this magic turn signal stalk started. There was absolutely nothing wrong with separate controls for turn signal, headlights, high/low beam, and windshield wipers. Somebody came up with the idea of combining them all into one stick, voila.....we've been flashing high beams or turning on wipers when going for the turn signals for decades. And anyone who says they've never accidentally activated the wrong control on their multi-function magic wand is a lying piece of excrement.

Fast forward to hands-free phones. Many (most) people drive more than 50% of the time with one hand on the wheel. The other hand is free to shift gears, change the radio station, pick a booger, or drink a milk-shake. When phones were hand-held, if you were talking on the phone and driving, all you could do was talk on the phone and drive. Both hands were occupied. Now with hands free phones, you can talk on the phone, drive AND some other third thing with your free hand (twiddle with the NAV, eat a sammich, smack the crying kid in the back seat....etc...). A perceived technological advancement has created the capability of "triple-tasking" where previously, only two tasks were possible at once.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I know how to work technology, I'm just not a fan of unnecessary technology. Some things were just fine as they were and then, in the name of (progress, modernization, style, technology capabilities....pick your reason), things that didn't need to be "fixed" where changed, and ultimately, more problems created. Going way back to the 70's when this magic turn signal stalk started. There was absolutely nothing wrong with separate controls for turn signal, headlights, high/low beam, and windshield wipers. Somebody came up with the idea of combining them all into one stick, voila.....we've been flashing high beams or turning on wipers when going for the turn signals for decades. And anyone who says they've never accidentally activated the wrong control on their multi-function magic wand is a lying piece of excrement.

Fast forward to hands-free phones. Many (most) people drive more than 50% of the time with one hand on the wheel. The other hand is free to shift gears, change the radio station, pick a booger, or drink a milk-shake. When phones were hand-held, if you were talking on the phone and driving, all you could do was talk on the phone and drive. Both hands were occupied. Now with hands free phones, you can talk on the phone, drive AND some other third thing with your free hand (twiddle with the NAV, eat a sammich, smack the crying kid in the back seat....etc...). A perceived technological advancement has created the capability of "triple-tasking" where previously, only two tasks were possible at once.
Unnecessary is subjective. Yeah I was just having a little light hearted fun. I see where you’re going with this but as for me ...I love advancements in technology and I eagerly accept them. If I don’t want them ...I just don’t get them. They still make rotary phones, pagers, non smart phones, vehicles without hands free calling, etc. I haven’t held a phone to my ear in years —except at work. I love change personally. I was born in 71, so what do I know.

I work with ppl who have one cptr screen. I can’t do that. I have 3. “They” say there is no advantage. I say there is —-so we all have choices.

Be blessed bro ...wasn’t a personal attack. I admit all this tech is causing accidents. So many distractions. PPL driving and not paying attention.

·
Registered
771 Posts
No attack assumed. I love good technology too. Rear camera, cruise control, ABS...etc...all good stuff. Unfortunately, some of the un-necessary stuff is automatically included, and if you want a particular vehicle, you get a bunch of stuff you don't want or need, and there's no way to change it. I wanted a RAM Rebel over a regular Big Horn or other 1500 model because of it's lack of chrome, obnoxious plastic grille and oversized RAM lettering on the tailgate, large tires, air suspension, and wicked cool red/black interior. With that, I got a whole bunch of functions and features I don't like (but have to use...like the Rotary Shifter, UConnect (just to have music) or don't like and just don't use (like the EVIC, NAV, and just about everything the UConnect does except play MP3's), not to mention having to drive a truck where the only way I can partially select what gear I'm in, is with those tiny steering wheel buttons.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The only vehicle I've ever been in that had a highbeam switch on the floor was my dad's 1955 International R120. It also had the under dash lever that opened the scoop on the hood to let outside air in. Maybe we should go to those for AC too

·
Registered
771 Posts
The only vehicle I've ever been in that had a highbeam switch on the floor was my dad's 1955 International R120. It also had the under dash lever that opened the scoop on the hood to let outside air in. Maybe we should go to those for AC too
All of my '70's vehicles ('71 Javelin, '74 Cutlass, '75 Catalina, '79 Chevy C-10) had the floor switch (and separate wiper/turn signal controls as well, and they were perfectly simple to operate) The latter two of those 4, I was still driving, into the mid-90's. And as far as low-tech A/C, since the 79 pickup had none (Custom Deluxe model had no A/C, no power anything, three-on-the-tree), in the summer, I'd put two frozen solid milk jugs of ice on the floor, open the passenger side floor vent, crack the driver's side window, and while I was moving, all that cool air blew right up over me and out my window.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Long story short about a fix is the dealer found that (in simple terms) he had to make the truck re-learn that it had auto dimming high beams. After that it displayed totally different reactions to my inputs, meaning when I turned the switch to auto and pushed the t/s stalk toward the dash, the high beams did not go on, but a message came on my cluster that said it was in auto high beam mode, which I never saw before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts