DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed on the sticker that I was suppose to have auto-dimming mirrors (to include the outside ones too). I asked my dealer, because I was being blinded at night from the vehicles behind me, and they stated that I have the factory tow mirrors, and that feature does not come with those.

So, I bought a pair off ebay that was auto-dimming (they have a 6 + 7 wire connection). I took my tow mirrors off, (those are 6 + 2 wire connection), and put the ebay mirrors on. They seem to be working great, except for one thing. I am still being blinded at night.

My Infiniti also has this feature, and when you turn it off via the inside rear-view mirror, you can definitely tell a difference, as the glass has a slight green tint.

The mirrors on my Ram do not have that greenish tint, and I can't tell a difference when looking at them turned on or off. I do notice that the glare is significantly less at all times in the rear-view mirror, no matter if it is on or off. I am hoping that technology has improved enough to not need a greenish tint, but I digress.

Is there a way to determine if the auto-dimming function on the mirrors are working correctly? Do I need to do anything else after installing the regular mirrors, like remove the power cable for 12 hours or something?

Thanks in advance!

E

·
0 Posts
hmm...now's the time to go back to the dealer and ask them why your auto dimming mirrors have stopped working. :D

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The window sticker listed it with auto dimming mirrors but it didn't have them? I smell a rat here. If you want to give the the last 8 of your VIN, I'll find out if it had them and someone took them off for some reason.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My auto dimming mirrors have a significant green tint to them at night...maybe your computer needs to be "flashed" to "see" the new mirrors. It's surprising but it seems every change you make that the computer needs to be told about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the factory tow mirrors and they don't dim, even though it is listed on the sticker. The inside mirror does. A tech from another dealer told me that its because the stock mirrors which were auto-dimming, were replaced with the tow mirror option, which are not.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
i dont really find a glare when vehicles are behind me in my mirrors but maybe its because my windows are tinted too dark lol...but i hope you get yours working the way they should be bud

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the factory tow mirrors and they don't dim, even though it is listed on the sticker. The inside mirror does. A tech from another dealer told me that its because the stock mirrors which were auto-dimming, were replaced with the tow mirror option, which are not.
Yes, I replaced mine with auto-dimming chrome mirrors from ebay.

Sigh, when I take it in for the L-03 Latch recall, I will ask them to take a look. Hopefully they won't even notice.

Thanks all for the advice!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, I replaced mine with auto-dimming chrome mirrors from ebay.

Sigh, when I take it in for the L-03 Latch recall, I will ask them to take a look. Hopefully they won't even notice.

Thanks all for the advice!
Dodge stickers are funny like that. Your sticker isn't telling you you have auto dimming mirrors. It's giving you what it HAD first, listed out on top. What your model before options had. THEN it lists out options below. So yours starts out saying auto dimming mirrors, but then you added the tow mirrors, and if you look on the description of the tow mirror option on the sticker you won't see auto dimming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts