DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3500 MC DRW almost here and a leveling kit with shocks and front coils are in the plans. I am hesitant because I do not know if the truck auto level will see the front being raised as something to deal with, and adjust too. I guess this brings up another question, can you re-set the rear auto level system to what you think "unloaded normal" is?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Since you are talking about auto-leveling I'll assume you have the air suspension.

There are no coil overs on your truck in that case, only airbags.

I think Bully's makes a kit to level/lift the air suspension.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you are talking about auto-leveling I'll assume you have the air suspension.

There are no coil overs on your truck in that case, only airbags.

I think Bully's makes a kit to level/lift the air suspension.
Front is not bagged, only the rear. I do not want to modify the rear, only level the front with some decent coils like the Kore units.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Gotcha, I know the 1500 has a 4 corner air suspension. With the front being raised it might mess with the leveling sensors, the Bully's kit might still work, essentially it's a threaded rod with ball joints on each end that you can adjust the overall length of the road that connects to the leveling sensor. You might need something like that to keep the rear end from jacking itself up once you raise the front.

·
8,073 Posts
The truck will sit level when unloaded as it will bring the rear up to where it should be stock. So with your front leveled out it will sit exactly like a truck without the rear air suspension. When you're hooked up to a trailer the auto leveling will not make the truck perfectly level though as it's thoughts of what "level" should be is for a stock height front end. However there is a manual override for the rear height so you can jack it up a bit if needed. Either way, you won't have any issues with the system. My Uncle has a 2015 DRW with the rear air suspension and it's been leveled since day 1. It squats a little bit pulling his 34' car trailer all loaded up but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
3500 MC DRW almost here and a leveling kit with shocks and front coils are in the plans. I am hesitant because I do not know if the truck auto level will see the front being raised as something to deal with, and adjust too. I guess this brings up another question, can you re-set the rear auto level system to what you think "unloaded normal" is?
You can't add a leveling kit when you have the factory rear air leveling system. You want to level, push the button for Alt Ride Height, the rear will lower and level the truck. Here is mine in Alt Ride Height with 2,600 pounds sitting on the rear, nice and level. It will do the same with out the trailer attached.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't add a leveling kit when you have the factory rear air leveling system. You want to level, push the button for Alt Ride Height, the rear will lower and level the truck. Here is mine in Alt Ride Height with 2,600 pounds sitting on the rear, nice and level. It will do the same with out the trailer attached.
Nice Montana, Monster! We almost bought one until the local dealership folded up and left town. Now we have a 2016 Big Horn which we are happy with.
So...You say "can't add a leveling kit". Is that because it affects the rear air system negatively? I understand about the rear being able to lower, thank you for that. But I am installing 34" tires (a little more than 2" taller than stock) and wanted that little extra up front, for clearance.

·
8,073 Posts
You CAN add a leveling kit. It's just that the auto level won't actually level your truck. You'll need to adjust the height manually because of the extra front end lift as I stated above.

Here's my Uncles truck that I was talking about above. Again, it has a BDS leveling kit and factory air suspension. Does it sit perfectly level while towing? No. Does it matter? No. Could he pump up the air bags more to make it sit level? Yes. At the end of the day it works no problem... so go ahead and do it if you want to.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You CAN add a leveling kit. It's just that the auto level won't actually level your truck. You'll need to adjust the height manually because of the extra front end lift as I stated above.

Here's my Uncles truck that I was talking about above. Again, it has a BDS leveling kit and factory air suspension. Does it sit perfectly level while towing? No. Does it matter? No. Could he pump up the air bags more to make it sit level? Yes. At the end of the day it works no problem... so go ahead and do it if you want to.
Okay thanks brandon, that clarifies even further. I appreciate the responses gents! Now I know I can proceed without much issue at all.
Your uncles truck looks sweet!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

How do you manually adjust the rear air leveling system? I have two options, normal ride height or alternate ride height.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
So...You say "can't add a leveling kit". Is that because it affects the rear air system negatively?
The leveling system works off sensors attached between the rear axle (one each side) and the frame. If you raise your front end, the leveling system is going to raise the rear to achieve the normal ride height angle. Obviously the rear leveling system would reach the end of travel at some point thus causing rear end sag shown in brandonjansen picture.

I don't know any way to make a manual adjustment to the rear air leveling system, I have a center stack button that allows normal ride height or alternate ride height which allows the truck and trailer to be level. Of course, this is designed to put even weight on the trailer axles.

I guess "can't" wasn't proper but I would ask why, why buy a $1600 option that can't be used. There was a long discussion on this over in the Cummins forum a while back, the conclusion was why level with rear air leveling unless it is something you just wanted to do.

·
8,073 Posts
How do you manually adjust the rear air leveling system? I have two options, normal ride height or alternate ride height.
By holding a button on the bottom of the center bezel (near the heated seat buttons). Holding one of the button raised it up until the button was released, the other lowered it until the button was released.

The leveling system works off sensors attached between the rear axle (one each side) and the frame. If you raise your front end, the leveling system is going to raise the rear to achieve the normal ride height angle. Obviously the rear leveling system would reach the end of travel at some point thus causing rear end sag shown in brandonjansen picture.

I don't know any way to make a manual adjustment to the rear air leveling system, I have a center stack button that allows normal ride height or alternate ride height which allows the truck and trailer to be level. Of course, this is designed to put even weight on the trailer axles.

I guess "can't" wasn't proper but I would ask why, why buy a $1600 option that can't be used. There was a long discussion on this over in the Cummins forum a while back, the conclusion was why level with rear air leveling unless it is something you just wanted to do.
It still can be used. There are advantages to the rear air assist other than having the truck sit perfectly level. It allows for a better ride unloaded as well since the leaf springs are lighter. Again, if the truck isn't sitting perfectly level when towing it really isn't a big deal. As long as the trailer is sitting level (or close to it) you're good to go. Personally I would sooner have my truck sitting deal level unloaded (which mine does) and have a bit of sag while towing as I'm only towing 5% of the time and unloaded the other 95%. However that's just my personal driving situation. Obviously everyone will have their own opinion on that based on how often they tow.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
By holding a button on the bottom of the center bezel (near the heated seat buttons). Holding one of the button raised it up until the button was released, the other lowered it until the button was released.
I only have one button that selects either of the two ride heights. Let's be clear, I have a 2015 RAM 3500 with the factory rear air leveling suspension.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I only have one button that selects either of the two ride heights. Let's be clear, I have a 2015 RAM 3500 with the factory rear air leveling suspension.
Considering that Brandon is trying to reference a truck he doesn't actually drive I am sure he may have messed up on the buttons.

However looking at the picture it does appear to be a 13+ Heavy Duty thanks to the grill and headlights.

·
8,073 Posts
Yes to be honest I'd have to check it out again before I could make any 100% firm statements. But what my Uncle showed me is that if you hold either of those buttons it will adjust the ride height up or down accordingly. It showed up in the EVIC when he was doing it saying that it was raising/lowering the truck. I'd recommend trying it out and seeing what happens or reading through the owners manual to see if you can find it. I'll have to take a look on my Uncles truck again next time I see it.

Arth, it's a 2015 3500 just to clarify :smileup:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yes to be honest I'd have to check it out again before I could make any 100% firm statements. But what my Uncle showed me is that if you hold either of those buttons it will adjust the ride height up or down accordingly. It showed up in the EVIC when he was doing it saying that it was raising/lowering the truck.
Arth, it's a 2015 3500 just to clarify :smileup:
Please do verify. I have the same year and model but only one button, I do get the EVIC display when the rear ride height adjusts to either of the two positions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry I know this is an old thread but I'm new to Rams. Monster you must have a much better truck than mine. If I hit the alt height button without a load it says something to the effect of too light a load to lower which makes absolutely no freaking sense to me.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sorry I know this is an old thread but I'm new to Rams. Monster you must have a much better truck than mine. If I hit the alt height button without a load it says something to the effect of too light a load to lower which makes absolutely no freaking sense to me.
You got two threads running on this.

I am not sure why you think my truck is "much better than yours", please explain this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You got two threads running on this.

I am not sure why you think my truck is "much better than yours", please explain this.
probably a combination of things that you and I both wind up in the same threads. so i'll try summarizing.

1. sleep deprived right now, should not be posting
2. gotta deal with a CC fraud as soon as bank opens, should not be posting right now.
3. said here you can lower your truck with no load and mine won't.
4. we have the same cameras and silver+ update but mine doesn't have the rear camera delay yours does. I can push a button and force it to stay on but doesn't do it without extra steps like factory setup does.
5. I'm guessing you like yours and I really don't like mine.
6. did I mention I am tired and ticked off and should probably not be posting anymore today:doh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts