DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 1500 4.7L quad cab SLT. I want to swap the Auto Trans for a manual. Has anyone done this? Will I need to swap the transfer case as well? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I think it will be far easier to sell your truck (and buy a manual truck) than to swap your trans out. I do not have any firm details, but I suspect you will need a new PCM (current one will look for inputs from PRNDL sensor, line pressure sensor, etc. that will no longer be there). You may have to replace the driveshaft(s), crossmember, and maybe even part of the floorpan (I know on older trucks manuals and automatics used a different floorpan, not sure if this is still the case).

Just sayin' this is likely to be a much bigger headache than simply swapping trucks.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
It can be done . Your best bet is to look for a truck in the salvage yard and transfer everything that way . Yes it is alot of work but I know what your after . I'm tired of these horrible automatics that we have in some of these trucks . Mine has never been off roaded , serviced at regular intervals if not sooner and now I'm on my way to my 4th rebuild . I've had enough . I'm looking for a donor as we speak .

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
It can be done . Your best bet is to look for a truck in the salvage yard and transfer everything that way . Yes it is alot of work but I know what your after . I'm tired of these horrible automatics that we have in some of these trucks . Mine has never been off roaded , serviced at regular intervals if not sooner and now I'm on my way to my 4th rebuild . I've had enough . I'm looking for a donor as we speak .
Maybe you should look for a new transmission shop instead...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sell your truck and buy the manual trans equipped truck will be your best bet. Your truck's value will go to zero don't know if you care or not. But the VIN when pulled will come up as an auto. If you truck is in good shape you will have a good chance for an "even" swap to get yourself a manual version. good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your truck is out there, just need to be patient. I waited for a long time (2+ years of searching for my perfect truck). I knew it when I pulled the trigger and have no regrets w/ my 08. Got lucky I guess, 4x4, 6 speed manual, was even my favorite shade of blue. I would suggest holding out for an 08 as well, that way you get the lastest engine, and on top of that it was the last year you could get a stick in any half ton. Cannot really recommend any swap, more hassle than its worth IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts