DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Have a 96 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2 with an auto tranny. My kids truck with 184,000 miles.
Truck runs fantastic except for a slip between first and second gear. Truck starts off great then the shift between 1st and 2nd the truck will rev up and tranny will shift but after the engine revs up. Remaining shifts are smooth without the raise in engine RPMs. This seems to not be as bad after she warms up.
I was told when we got the truck, last month, the guy changed the tranny filter and fluid. (I am doubting his word as other things he said he did do not check out.)
So will a filter/fluid change help this? I am not a tranny guy but am very mechanically inclinded. I have also heard about adjusting bands.....Do I need to do this? Or is this puppy just plain worn out and should I look for a rebuilt tranny. If a fluid filter change are in order what brand would be best for this high of mileage?
Could this be an electronic issue? We had the codes pulled and only code was a crank sensor which we replaced.
I know additives are usually band aides if they work at all but has anyone had any luck with the seafoam tranny fluid or any other "magic" additive?
Any help is very much appreciated!

Robb

·
Registered
3 Posts
i would have to tranny checked again for a sensor, i have a 98 and i had a simaliar problem but mine wouldnt shift out of first and time and it was just a sensor but if nothen comes out of that i realy doubt filter, or fluid change would do any good if that is the origanal tranny with that many miles then its had a dam good life cuz that is very rare for a dodge tranny to make it that many miles, it just may have to be rebuilt

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would have to tranny checked again for a sensor, i have a 98 and i had a simaliar problem but mine wouldnt shift out of first and time and it was just a sensor but if nothen comes out of that i realy doubt filter, or fluid change would do any good if that is the origanal tranny with that many miles then its had a dam good life cuz that is very rare for a dodge tranny to make it that many miles, it just may have to be rebuilt
I'm sorry to thread jack, but what sensor was it? My automatic transmission (140,000miles) likes to stay in first gear as long as possible before it shifts into second, but if I give it almost any throttle to go up hill or even just to accelerate a little, it'll shift back into first gear EVEN at highway speeds... it just goes right back to first gear at about 30% throttle or more.

I should also note, all other gears/shifts are perfectly normal. it's just first gear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

I just dropped the pan and changed the filter and replaced gasket. Put in 1/2 pint of seafoam tranny fluid along with 3 3/4 quarts of Valvoline ATF +4 fluid.
Took it for a test drive and it seemed to help. Will advise once I have more drive time on it.

Still willing to listen to anyone that has had simlar issues.

Robb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.