DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back my truck unfortunately was in a small accident due to a uninsured driver. It took a hit on the driver side as you can see from the door (the fender was already replaced). I am paying out of pocket to get this fixed, but my question is do you think this is repairable? The door edge is somewhat wavy and there is a dent in behind it also. My other big concern is because it is the driver door I am reluctant to replace it because of the VIN label being attached to the inner door jamb. I am not sure of what legal issues I would have to go through to do so. I thought maybe with some heat the door edge could be possibly straightened out and the dent fixed as well and the door repainted, but I need your expert advice. I appreciate any advice you could give, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Boy anytime a door has been kinked there I think the door has been replaced. Now I am not a body guy but here is some of the dificulty. That is rite at the edge of where the door skin is attached to the front edge and it makes it really tuff to straighten. Maybe go by one of those paintless dent repair folks and see if they can do anything or have suggestions.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
412 Posts
A while back my truck unfortunately was in a small accident due to a uninsured driver. It took a hit on the driver side as you can see from the door (the fender was already replaced). I am paying out of pocket to get this fixed, but my question is do you think this is repairable? The door edge is somewhat wavy and there is a dent in behind it also. My other big concern is because it is the driver door I am reluctant to replace it because of the VIN label being attached to the inner door jamb. I am not sure of what legal issues I would have to go through to do so. I thought maybe with some heat the door edge could be possibly straightened out and the dent fixed as well and the door repainted, but I need your expert advice. I appreciate any advice you could give, thanks.
I wouldn't worry about the VIN label...there's a reason why the VIN is listed in more than one spot on a vehicle. I would still try to fix it and then try to replace the panels before replacing the entire door though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Regarding V.I.N. plate, check with your State Authorities, they might just have a system in place. When I worked in Alberta, many years ago, the R.C.M.P. had a specific section to deal with such issues, their auto-theft section. One of their duties was to inspect vehicles whereby the V.I.N. had to be replaced etc. They had the authority to issue a new sticker with the old V.I.N., the sticker would self-destruct if one tried to remove same after the fact and it was identified as a replacement with special markings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the VIN label has been my biggest concern if having to replace the door. The only damage to the door is just that edge and the dent behind it, the rest of the door is fine, both the inner front and inner back door jambs are good also. I know ECS is licensed to reproduce VIN labels but I am not sure what legal issues come with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts