DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have researched my 2012 Ram before I purchased it. I'm ready to park it on the lot due to little to no aftermarket support and an encrypted ECU. I also have the infamous hemi "tick" with only 2K on the odometer, horrible gas mileage, and horrible shifting characteristics of the new six speed auto. Not to mention, I've went outside on a few morning and the valve-train tapped REALLY HARD for about 30 seconds after starting the engine. What are the current mods available? I'm sure modified line pressure, shift points, and shift characteristics would cure my dismay with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sell your truck ASAP.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you say that? lol
I probably would sell it if someone would buy it. I've only paid a few notes on it though so I probably couldn't sell it right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
the rattle upon startup is normal and just building oil pressure. I too agree the transmission shifts terrible and needs a programming update. The only way to fix it is to run it in manual mode 5 or 6. Its like driving a manual in too high a gear, my truck rolls around at very low rpms and starts to make noise cause it pulls the rpm's down almost to idle on the tach...

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are afew things you can do to improve driveability...
TB for quicker throttle response, exhaust for some performance improvement (but makes it more enjoyable to hear that hemi) and selecting tow/haul for somewhat improved automatic shifting.
Good luck.
PS: Most every vehicle I've had in the past 10+ years has been noisy (fuel injectors, lifters, valve train, etc...). Another reason to mod your exhaust ;~)

Ed

·
Registered
547 Posts
5500 is right on the money, when the hydraulic roller lifters started being used (Ford, GM, Chrysler) valve train noise became more prevalent. Combine that with the manufacturers replacing the crappy plastic toothed cam gears with steel and (sometimes) roller chains, the addition of port injectors, much higher valve lift, very light oil and the noise levels have to go up, and do you think getting more than 1 horse power per cubic inch comes without a price (while meeting emissions and increasing fuel mileage? I had a 85 Ram with a 125 horse 318 that got 13 mpg, but it was quiet! Why do you think they put those bogus plastic covers over the top of the engines these days, some even have foam under them! Also, go get in a new 5.0 GT auto and you might think it's a dog just driving around normally, but plant your foot to the carpet and hold on to your ass, most new cars with autos have very conservative shift patterns under light throttle for fuel economy and emissions regs. These issues are not just a Hemi problem and really are just the nature of the beast and to be expected with ever tightening EPA regulations being put in place.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I should have researched my 2012 Ram before I purchased it. I'm ready to park it on the lot due to little to no aftermarket support and an encrypted ECU. I also have the infamous hemi "tick" with only 2K on the odometer, horrible gas mileage, and horrible shifting characteristics of the new six speed auto. Not to mention, I've went outside on a few morning and the valve-train tapped REALLY HARD for about 30 seconds after starting the engine. What are the current mods available? I'm sure modified line pressure, shift points, and shift characteristics would cure my dismay with the transmission.
It's a brand new truck give it some time and the mods will show up. The tick doesn't bother me at all because I dont stand outside of my truck and sit there and listen to it. I just put a magnaflow on mine and all I hear is the sweet sound of HEMI. I swapped out oil this past weekend at 500 miles on the odo to Penzoil Platinum full synthetic and the valvetrain noise quieted down significantly. Lighten up your foot a little and the mpg's will improve.

You ask what mods are available but you only seem to be concerned with a tuner. There is exhaust, cai's and other mods available for the 2012's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Right on Roo, I kinda like the tick. Reminds me of the days of solid lifter cams and, or Pete Jackson gear drives. Hate the engine cover some time I take it off just to look at the Hemi. The guys are right give it some time to get broken in and you've got to train youself how drive to get the trans to shift according to load and throttle position.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not really wanting just a tuner. My point on that is the trucks can't be tuned at all right now. In order to do any "real" mods such as longtubes, O/R Y-pipe, cam, manifold, injectors, S/C, or etc, the ECU MUST be tuned. It's really pointless to mod if the ECU can't be properly tuned. As for the transmission, I think the six speed would be nice with an increase in line pressure and slightly higher shift points at partial throttle. I would really love to see an aftermarket manifold that would delete the "variable" intake runners and flow better. Besides the annoying "surge" of power when they open up, I feel there is some power to be gained there. As the 3-Valve Mustang 4.6 gained power with the motion charge delete plates. I figure the dodge system works on a similar principle. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2012 Hemi I went royal purple full synthetic and it doesnt make the Hemi (tick) anymore. Also a good piont is to use good gas with as little to perfferably no ethanol in it. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am waiting patiently for the Diablo, (curious as to how they are making out), and I can say the the Vararam CAI and the Magnaflow catbock exhaust livened her up a fair bit. Need that Diablo though to round her out nicely!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Compared to my 96 Sport 5.9 my 12 Sport 5.7 Hemi rocks. The 96 is quiet but it feels like I'm dragging something compared to the 12 Hemi. Noise??? Noise is good. I want to know things are working. A little click and clack (no pun intended) and tick is fine. It's the clunk and clank and grrrr and such I'm afraid of. And I love the sound of the flat tappet inline 6 in my TR6.

I love planting the foot on a hwy on ramp. It's sounds and feels so good. I'm still trying to decide on an exhaust. Nothing smaller than 18. Maybe a 22 or 24. Just a little more noise. Subtle......

Me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts