DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took my truck offroading this past weekend...nothing major, just some Forest Service roads while we were out camping, and with one big rock, the Smittybuilt sure step bent! Stay away from this product if you actually take your truck offroad!

By azsnow at 2012-04-22

By azsnow at 2012-04-22

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I emailed Smittybuilt, so I will see if anything they are willing to do...I dont expect them to do anything because thats the way things go, but I hope they don't expect me to buy any more of their products.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ouch that's gotta hurt. The same thing happen to me too when I went off road I have the Dodge chrome steps it got pushed up but look on the bright side if it wasn't for that bar being there it would of been your rocker panel or door getting damaged and would of cost you more.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dude, they protected your truck! What do you really expect?

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I agree with the above responses. You're very lucky you had thin steps (they bolt to the cab, right?), if it was a heavy gauge steel it would be the cab that needs replacing, not the step. This is part of the reason I got rid of my low hanging step bars for running boards, I was afraid every time I went over a curb (I don't offroad or anything....) and finally got paranoid enough about bending the cab sheet metal that I swapped them out...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, these bolt to the frame. It would not have been my cab that was damaged as you can see it bent them up to below cab level. These are frame height, and what do I expect? I expect them not to bend when driving on a forest service road. I saw a guy driving a Honda Civic on the road...don't know if he made it home, but at any rate, these are shitty and I wont buy anything from them again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i stand by my original statement. its a step bar used solely for the purpose of getting you in the truck not to sppuort the weight of a truck on a rock or washboard road. again thats what rock sliders are for.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I love how you slam them on the forum BEFORE they even have a chance to help you out. So now no matter what they do the damage is done! I wouldn't expect my steps to be able to withstand my 6000+ lbs truck slamming over a rock... They are STEPS not rock sliders after all... I know for a fact mine wouldn't stand up to that abuse either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They havent contacted me, and I am sure they wont. I didnt intend these to be rock sliders, nor did I use them as such. I simply took the truck on a forest service road, not on a rock trail. I don't expect them to withstand constant abuse, but for them to bend as easy as they did, they are shit plain and simple! I had a pair of nerf bars on an old 76 Chevy, and I abused them on a daily basis, the most that happened was some pits and scratches. And I stand by my original statement, wasn't looking for help or anything of that nature, my statement was meant to inform...if your truck is not a street queen as most are on this forum, don't buy these steps, they are shit!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I agree with Chrisp, Those are Not rock sliders and you hit them on 'something' -regardless of how or where. It is not the fault of the product when they are subject to a use the were not designed for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd have to agree. You obviously had to of hit a decent size rock or hit a hole deep enough to put abnormal stress on step. They were meant for people stepping on them not putting the weight of a 5500+lb truck on them. If that would have happened to me I would be blaming myself not the manufacture.

·
Registered
868 Posts
and with one big rock, the Smittybuilt sure step bent!
Thats like saying I only ran into one tree and my truck got dented!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I just went to the Smittybuilt website

I was curious just what the Surestep tubing thickness was
It does not have it in the specifications

The Contractors Rack has 2 inch .120 wall tubing
The Nerf Bars have .084 wall tubing, on the 3 inch main tube at least

The smaller the number, the more strength it has

·
Registered
666 Posts
i stand by my original statement. its a step bar used solely for the purpose of getting you in the truck not to sppuort the weight of a truck on a rock or washboard road. again thats what rock sliders are for.
What he said^^. I did the same thing years ago with a pair of side steps when I rolled a big rock in Arizona, and that's the breaks. They're made to support your weight, not the weight of the truck when you lodge a rock under them. Buy rock sliders if you drive places where this can happen.

·
Banned
265 Posts
I emailed Smittybuilt, so I will see if anything they are willing to do...I dont expect them to do anything because thats the way things go, but I hope they don't expect me to buy any more of their products.
Wait.. So you're mad at Smittybuilt because you broke their cosmetic accessory due to crashing your truck?

The Contractors Rack has 2 inch .120 wall tubing
The Nerf Bars have .084 wall tubing, on the 3 inch main tube at least

The smaller the number, the more strength it has
HUH?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ok OP, consider myself informed. A nerf bar engineered to hold the weight of a person will not withstand the force of hitting a rock and the full weight of my truck. Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts