DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

'05, 81,000, SLT Q-cab, 5 sp auto, 3.92 L/S, Goodyear Wrangler HP on 20" wheels w/35% remaining tread. Just bought this truck and replaced the loud muffler.

It has a noise only at 25-20 mph that doesn't change in neutral or in a curve and only on decel (even in neutral). Almost sounds like a 12" section of each rear tire is a rough tread and the rest normal. Sometimes it's bumpy feeling and/or like theres a rock stuck in the tread. Totally smooth and quiet above 25 mph other than what I assume it typical tire whine. It doesn't do it until it's been driven 20 miles or so. After the 30 mile commute from work, I checked under there with an infrared thermometer and found no hot spots (pinion, u-joints, diff case, transfer case, axle ends, brake discs).

I've done a lot of wrenching years ago so I'm not lost as to how and where to check upon logical disassembly, but was hoping someone else maybe has already found/fixed a similar cause. I work 7 days a week and my sched is unpredictable so tearing totally into it isn't an attractive plan at the moment. I have ordered a 6 mic electronic "ear" and will jack it up next time I'm home.

Any ideas, procedures, comments would be welcome and appreciated.

PS. After searcing the forum, seems these things have a lot of rear axle issues. When I was young, you COULD NOT destroy a Mopar differential, believe me, I've tried! ... wonder what happened over the years with all the technological advances?...

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2002 1500 had the same noise. Come to find out the bearings in the case were shot. I thought it was rocks stuck in the tire as well. Wish it was only that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I have all the tools I need to replace those but left my long tube hex driver (for the carrier bearing nuts) at the last shop where I worked. Have to build another, wish I could remember what size it was... Still haven't pulled the cover off but will update the thread whenever I get to the cause.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked EVERYTHING out on the road and on jackstands with a chassis ear...

Seems the road noise is a bit more for these trucks than most opinions suggest. I had 8/32" of tread on the worst tire (wrangler HPs) and they all had edge feathering so I had a new set installed which seemed to eliminate the vibration/roar at the described speeds. And, I think there is a lot of echo noise from the bed with these trucks. I bought a dealer accessory set of bed fenderwell liners (which are standard equipment on the later models). That reduced overall road noise a LOT! :smileup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts