DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got underneath my new truck today and noticed they really scraped off a bunch of paint around the axles on each side of the diff. Looks to be all the way around and about 4 fingers wide. Looks terrible. Maybe done in transit by tiedowns on train or car carrier? Anyone else have this sort of issue? Question is, is this chassis paint damage something I ought to ask the dealer to fix or should I just get a can of chassis black and spray the bare metal myself before the rust sets in. I'm going to have to look over the entire undercarriage now.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i see you are from florida and understand how this could bother you. here in the rust belt, the color of axles and such is always "rust". some guys use rustolium to cover up the rust.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
I think if you look at most trucks on the dealer lot you will find the same.... I remember that mine had that as well however the dealer touched it up......

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I won't bother the dealer about it since its "normal". I have a can of Eastwoods chassis black somewhere which ought to do the job. It would really be best to use matching paint though so it will look right. Black paints are hard to match up. Does anyone know if the factory chassis paint is available anywhere?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That chassis black should be close in color. I try to keep my truck spotless to the point of obsession. However, a few good rain storms, a couple of mud puddles, and a little road grime.... You'll never notice.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'd spend 30 minutes and wire brush the rust then brush on some oil based rustoleum or similar...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just used a can of flat black rustoleum to cover my rust spots. Paint color match? Unless you're crawling under the truck and looking at it from 1 foot, you'll never tell the difference.

Darin

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those that recommended flat black rustoleum are 100% correct. I have a bunch of different black paints leftover from past restorations that I color checked and the rustoleum was a perfect match on the axle tube. So, I have now feather sanded and spot painted the scrapes and it looks perfect. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I used galvanizing spray and then the black. - don't know if it helps or not

·
Registered
754 Posts
yea my truck had the same deal must be from the tie downs.. mine has already rusted from the NE winter but it is on my list for the spring. I have eastwood black should work well

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Axle paint

I used galvanizing spray and then the black. - don't know if it helps or not
I thought about priming with zinc oxide, but elected not to since there wasn't any primer under the factory black. Figured might as well make it all the same. So I just used prep sol to clean and went directly to paint. If I was doing a restoration on an axle I would prime then paint. One other thing, the driveshaft isn't painted at all. Its bare metal. I'm wondering if I should remove it and paint or just let it oxidize naturally. Anybody got painted driveshafts?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just doublechecked with a magnet, and my driveshaft is steel as I thought. I believe its a high tensile alloy, but it will likely still oxidize. Its still too new to be rusted so now is the best time to paint if I decide to go that route. Truck is a RCSB 4X4.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Steel and rusty. Will be getting a coat or 2 of Tremclad flat black along with the rear axle housing this weekend. Crew cab 4x4.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My RAM has an aluminum HUGE drive shaft. My last Chevy had steel and it got totally rusty at Pismo Beach. when I had it balanced and new center carrier installed, they painted it shiny black for me and it looked Purdy new :)

If you take the time to paint your drive shaft, make it a candy cane.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I went and painted my driveshaft this morning. Wanted to do it before any rust starts since the truck is less than a month old (built 29 February). Went with the flat black rustoleum to match the rearend. Everything underneath now looks great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts