DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guys,

I am have an issue trying to separate the axle stub from the front passenger cv shaft. Long story short, the stub c clip disconnected easily from the front diff so I ended up pulling the cv out of the truck with the axle stub and have been working on it on my bench. The 2 pieces are not rusted together as there is clear movement where the splines meet so it’s just a really stuck c clip.

I put the stub in my vice and was hammering on it with a 4lb sledge and I can’t get it to separate. Before I break the inner joint - does anyone have any suggestions? I’m trying to salvage the cv axle if possible as it is still good, but just doesn’t work with my leveling kit.

I will be working on it today so any suggestions appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Axle in vise, a brass drift against the inner drive part of CV. They can be stubborn

·
Registered
375 Posts
We had a left stub stuck in the front diff of a GM hung up on the c-clip.Pulled the diff all apart and tried to separate it with a hydraulic press just for shits and giggles.Destroyed the left hand of the diff and never did come apart.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Problem is that c-clip in hardened spring steel jammed int between the inner and outer splines.If it can't be compressed into the ring groove it'll never come apart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to some pretty extreme measures and still ended up purchasing a new stub shaft.
I pulled off the inner boot and removed the cv axle so it was just a cup on the stub shaft. From there I clamped it in my vice and started trying to bang the shaft out from the inside with a sledge hammer and punch, it still wouldn’t budge. I still can’t believe that the clip didn’t break with the force I hit it with. I have never had a cv axle this stuck before on any vehicle

In the end, I found the stub shaft for $50 and I already had a new cv axle so it could have been worse.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Problem is there is no place for the ring to get out of the road unless it compresses into the proper groove.That's why ti sometimes help to hammer it in the opposite direction first,then wiggle it around while pulling out and finally keeping some pressure on it give it a good smack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts