DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 17 RAM 1500 with the Hemi for a 18 RAM 2500 with the Cummins. Now I am seeing a lot of stuff about putting in a Cummins fuel filter under the bed.

That is a $200 kit plus the install. Then I'd have three filters to change out instead of two. From what I have seen some only change out one, the Cummins filter, every year and then all three every other year.

Is the filter really worth the price and trouble? I guess it takes the filter from 7 microns to 5 microns or something like that.

I didn't see any threads in the forum on the filter. I checked the Cummins and HD sections.

Thanks for any thoughts and inputs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just changed the oil and fuel filters total cost was about 120.00 I get the fuel filters on Amazon much cheaper and they are Mopar filters I do the work myself so Im saving that part of it

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I traded Now I am seeing a lot of stuff about putting in a Cummins fuel filter under the bed.
Adding another filter is akin to adding a CAI or catch can. Some just can't stand not to do something to their trucks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It depends on what sort of filter setup you are using.

What you don't want to do is copy exactly what is already on your truck. Rather, get a fuel/water separator system. Water has always caused rust and corrosion of fuel system components and infrastructure. Modern fuel systems are so much less tolerant than lower pressure systems of the past were.

Water causes damage to both fuel tanks and engine parts. Rust and corrosion in the tank create hard particulate that is passed along in the fuel, causing engine wear. Component life is also shortened by water etching, erosion, cavitation and spalling.

When changing filters be careful not to get air in the system as well.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
I live about 30 miles from Mexico
Many diesel owners fuel up with Mexican diesel
They have been putting a 3rd fuel filter on the diesel engines, but that is because the Mexican diesel fuel usually has a fungus growing in it.

I have noticed that more & more gas stations & truck stops now have Biodiesel in their bulk tanks. I don't like the way my Ecodiesel runs on Biodiesel & its my belief that it messes with the injectors, i can only assume that it also plugs the fuel filters faster.

When i buy diesel, i look at the pumps to make sure that i am getting #2 diesel

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. Sorry it took me so long to acknowledge them but I've been working long hours this week and was just too tired to get on when I got home.

I had a diesel truck back in the early 80s, which is why I said back to the diesel world. I know things have changed a lot since then.

I know adding an extra filter is adding an extra cost when you have to replace them. If you need to filter down to the 5 micron that the Cat does then why not just get a 5 micron filter? If RAM and/ or Cummins said that the 7 micron filter is good why not just go with that? I'm just repeating numbers that I saw on other forums about putting on the filter and why.

I do a lot of the work on my vehicles myself as well. I worked at a couple dealerships as a mechanic and in a private shop for a few years so I am comfortable with doing the work. I also have a good idea when something needs to be done by the shops instead of in my driveway.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest all our diesel comes from local refineries. So I'm not worried about anything growing in it. Just have to choose which station based on if you want additive or not.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would think you would be fine with just 2 filters. Change them on the regular recommended durations or a bit less. Might want to check out the Cummins Forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live about 30 miles from Mexico
Many diesel owners fuel up with Mexican diesel
They have been putting a 3rd fuel filter on the diesel engines, but that is because the Mexican diesel fuel usually has a fungus growing in it.

I have noticed that more & more gas stations & truck stops now have Biodiesel in their bulk tanks. I don't like the way my Ecodiesel runs on Biodiesel & its my belief that it messes with the injectors, i can only assume that it also plugs the fuel filters faster.

When i buy diesel, i look at the pumps to make sure that i am getting #2 diesel
You do know that 1 your truck is made for up to 20% biodiesel ( as that is what is mandated )
I have included a screenshot of the diesel supplemental. And #2 includes bio diesel

To the OP If you use stock filters ( which I do )
Make sure to buy only mopar or Cummins (fleet fleetguard ) or the OEM equivalent ( ie parker for the rear, water separator filter ) as the after market ones are not made to specifications, and are rarely the appropriate micron size filter ( 3 micron final ) and many of the aftermarket front (under hood) filters are not 2 stage, meaning even if they are 3 micron, ( which they are not ), they would clog to quick anyway..... . Ther filter kit you are talking about are 2 micron filters which is good.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.