DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The black trim on my Ram Boxes and tailgate etc turned grey on my 2014. Texas heat takes its toll. I was wondering if a couple of coats of rattle can clear on my 2018 would keep it black or would there be negative issues doing this? Any other ideas to prevent the graying would be appreciated. Thanks Sandy

·
Registered
937 Posts
There are plenty of products on the market to restore black plastic trim pieces. Funny enough one is "Back to Black".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are plenty of products on the market to restore black plastic trim pieces. Funny enough one is "Back to Black".
Yes, I use the Back to Black. I was looking for a way to not have to use it down the road. Anyone have opinions on the clear to protect it from getting grey? Thanks Sandy

·
Registered
22 Posts
honestly i would either keep consistent with a good VRT treatment (vinyl/rubber/trim) like weekly OR get a ceramic trim coating and do that once a year. very easy to apply and will last a good long time.
personally i have used adams and mckee 37's coatings on mine and my wifes suv which the lower half is plastic all the way around and still looks new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
honestly i would either keep consistent with a good VRT treatment (vinyl/rubber/trim) like weekly OR get a ceramic trim coating and do that once a year. very easy to apply and will last a good long time.
personally i have used adams and mckee 37's coatings on mine and my wifes suv which the lower half is plastic all the way around and still looks new.
Thanks for the info. I will look into these products. The sun, especially after an afternoon shower is like a steamer on this material. A decent spray of Back to Black only last me about two weeks max most of the year. I will let you know how the products turn out if I use them. Sandy

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I thought about having my Rambox lids, bed rails and tailgate piece all sprayed with the LineX premium spray that is supposed to not fade. I had my bed done with it. But I wonder if it would add too much weight to the lids? May still look into this some day down the road. For now my truck just always sits in the garage out of the elements. Which reminds me it's been about two weeks now since I've driven it. :doh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I thought about having my Rambox lids, bed rails and tailgate piece all sprayed with the LineX premium spray that is supposed to not fade. I had my bed done with it. But I wonder if it would add too much weight to the lids? May still look into this some day down the road. For now my truck just always sits in the garage out of the elements. Which reminds me it's been about two weeks now since I've driven it. :doh:
I think that the LineX would devalue the truck. Just not a fan of it myself. I don't think the weight would be a problem. They can add UV protection to it and perhaps more than a bed liner job. I would paint them first before trying that. Again JMO. My 14 got so bad that good coatings of various brands wouldn't turn it a decent black and didn't last more that a couple of weeks. I would garage my 18 but I have a 95 and a 91 pair of trucks in it now. Obviously my priorities are in disarray. Having three trucks is not my fault. It's a TEXAS thing. Sandy

·
Registered
72 Posts

Jax Wax Black Trim Renew. Expensive, but I just used it for the first time and the best product of its kind and I think Ive tried most of them. This one actually has a black dye in it so you must be a little careful applying it, but well worth the extra hassle to get the impressive results.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Jax Wax Black Trim Renew. Expensive, but I just used it for the first time and the best product of its kind and I think Ive tried most of them. This one actually has a black dye in it so you must be a little careful applying it, but well worth the extra hassle to get the impressive results.

Just looked on Amazon and your review is the only one there. The directions and results are very similar to the products suggested in an earlier post on this thread. The dye sounds interesting. Thank you for the info on this. Sandy

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's crazy,when I bought it there were a lot of other reviews?

Also I paid $28 with prime free shipping! its $25 from Jax Wax plus shipping.

But as of today Amazon is showing $10 and change plus shipping from JEGS!

Take advantage. It was worth the $25 but a steal at under $20.

Just looked on Amazon and your review is the only one there. The directions and results are very similar to the products suggested in an earlier post on this thread. The dye sounds interesting. Thank you for the info on this. Sandy

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Factory`s had their vendors cut costs by removing UV protection from plastics.
Only needs to look good during the sales of new shiny vehicles... good luck.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The UV protection of factory tints is low and is mostly for privacy. But aftermarket tint films can offer 99% protection of both UVA and UVB.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Factory`s had their vendors cut costs by removing UV protection from plastics.
Only needs to look good during the sales of new shiny vehicles... good luck.

Newer plastics have far better UV resistance than even just a few years ago. What is your basis for this claim?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts