DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a second failure of the rear backup camera on my 2017 Ram 3500. Has anyone else had problems with the rear tailgate camera?

Sometimes the camera works, sometimes the screen goes completely green with no image, sometimes I get a bunch of zig-zag lines, sometimes it gets fixed by restarting the truck, BUT it always seems to fail at the most inopportune time.

Dealer replaced the first camera under warranty, should he dig deeper on this replacement or is the camera just something that is prone to failure on this truck?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I would be looking in back of the rear license plate

A pigtail comes out of the bottom of the tailgate & then goes through the sheet metal, it is usually covered by a piece of black plastic that hides the hole
Another pigtail is behind there, sometimes there is a bent pin & or just a bad connection

The same goes for the connection behind the inspection cover in the tailgate
Then if i recall correctly, there is another connection near where the spare tire & the drivers side truck frame come close together

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm having the same problem but haven't taken it in yet. I haven't been able to replicate it on demand so I don't feel like wasting my time with a "Could not reproduce".

·
Registered
3 Posts
My camera just went out today, 2018 Sport with 3000 miles. Can't get it to come on manually with the UConnect. Nothing happens when I put the car into reverse. Any ideas?
Rick

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
My camera just went out today, 2018 Sport with 3000 miles. Can't get it to come on manually with the UConnect. Nothing happens when I put the car into reverse. Any ideas?
Rick

You own a 2018 covered by warranty. Let dealer handle it.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
There is a camera connection just below the tailgate so that the tailgate can be removed if needed. I would check and make sure that that connection is good and tight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine faileda few months ago. I was ignoring the agree to term popup when first starting.
Once I hit accept the camera came back. I now hit accept once in a while and no more problem with the camera

Coincidence?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, looks like a lot of people with the same problem! Count me in as well! It's been intermittent for over a year now and like some of you said, I'm waiting for it to be more consistently "out" before taking it in. I will say it's become worse in the past week or so, so that time may be coming!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back up camera

I am experiencing a second failure of the rear backup camera on my 2017 Ram 3500. Has anyone else had problems with the rear tailgate camera?

Sometimes the camera works, sometimes the screen goes completely green with no image, sometimes I get a bunch of zig-zag lines, sometimes it gets fixed by restarting the truck, BUT it always seems to fail at the most inopportune time.

Dealer replaced the first camera under warranty, should he dig deeper on this replacement or is the camera just something that is prone to failure on this truck?[/QUOT

I’ve had the same problem with my 2016 and to fix it I lubed the plug in between the tailgate and the bed and it works fine now.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I used Dielectric grease on the tailgate connection after spraying it with
CRC QD Contact Cleaner Aerosol
Item #12517Z
I also found another connection just left of the spare tire, by the main frame of the Ram
I sprayed & greased that one also

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,601 Posts
Not wanting to jinx myself, but I haven't had any problems with my camera. But, we haven't had much rain in these here parts. So mine hasn't had any problems with water intrusion. I think I would highly suggest to the dealer's service manager, instead of throwing parts at it, TROUBLE SHOOT IT and get to the root of the problem. Just my $0.02 worth...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It finally died completely. Dealer replaced defective camera on tailgate. Now on my third in as many years!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts