DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'14 Ram 2500 with the diesel engine.

When we first bought the truck, the backup camera only worked on the rearview mirror, and the truck-bed camera only worked on the Uconnect radio display. A few months ago, there was a software update that apparently enabled the backup camera for the Uconnect display, but my backup camera does not display on the Uconnect display. (It still works fine on the mirror, so this is an annoyance, not a major issue.)

On the display, there are two icons - one appears to show the truck bed camera, and one shows the backup camera. The backup camera icon shows the truck bed camera. The backup camera shows a blank blue screen and gives an error after a few moments. I tried resetting the radio the other day to see if it helps, but it didn't change anything.

This may be my fault. We have a cap on the truck, so we don't need the truck bed camera (we bought a truck off the lot that had it, and figured we'd just not use it). However, the larger camera-brake light setup there sometimes hits the cap when we go over bumps. So, I had bought a standard light setup and installed it - and that was in place when the software update came through. I later removed the standard light because it was giving me a bulb-out warning every time I started the truck, and I replaced it with the factory camera-light setup.

I just checked and the UConnect software is up to date. I was hoping I could download and reinstall the update, but I didn't immediately see a way to do that.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I feel like I'm at the point where I need to head to the dealer and get them to look at it/reprogram it, but I thought maybe someone would have some ideas here. Searching hasn't produced anything similar.

Thanks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've heard that letting the tailgate drop hard can knock em out. I put a "DeeZee" tailgate assist on mine. Don't know if that's your problem, though.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i saw a Jumper wire or something on Infotainment.com

It had something that would put both cameras on the 8.4 touch screen

https://www.infotainment.com/blogs/news/ram-truck-cargo-cameras-explained

https://www.infotainment.com/products/ram-rear-view-mirror-backup-camera-image-reroute-kit
Update: A few weeks ago, I bought that kit, and I finally installed it yesterday. Works perfectly! Thanks for the tip! Now my backup camera shows on the mirror and the display. I bet it’ll make hooking up the trailer easier (easier to see the ball and tongue relationship).

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts