DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking on Superbrightleds web page I have two options for back up lights. 921-x12(natural white) and 921-x9 (cool white). So the delema is which one should I go with? Have changed the plate lights to blue LEDs, (as that was the only choice locally, but think I may go white LED. The dome going cool white, (I think), and cargo going natural white, (I think).....Any help or pic's would be appreciated. Is there much of a difference between cool and natural white?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think the cool white looks best. As for selection...

The 921-x12 will be the brightest. The lights point strait out. So if there is a reflector you will not get any help from that. I am not sure what's there as I have not looked at those yet.

I have a couple of the 12's and a couple of the WLED-CWHP15's. I was going to move them about and see what worked for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I ran my test. The 921-x12 is not the way to go. The WLED-CWHP15's are way better. The reason is because of the way the bulb is presented to it's home. The bulb sticks up into the fixture from the bottom. You mist have a round presentation to allow for the use of the reflector.

Seeing as I was testing..... I moved my WLED-CWHP15's from the bed lights to the reverse lights. I installed the extra set of 921-CW12 's into the bed lights.

One thing I noticed was that the 921-CW12's did not have the half illumination issue like the WLED-CWHP15's did. I will verify for certain tonight that they go strait off.

I did not remove the 100 ohm resistor from the WLED-CWHP15's when I moved them. When I have time later I may just have to remove them and see what happens.

I also need to check on the brightness of the 921-CW12 's in the bed. The bed light comes in from behind so a strait out light like this will work. But again you are not getting the extra added light from the reflector like you do with the other. Again, the dark will reveal all.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just took the dog out. Tested again. The bed lights do just stay on. So these 921-CW12 's will not work as bed lights because there is no room to attach a resistor.

So at the moment I am thinking that the WLED-CWHP15's are the best so far for the backup lights and bed lights.

mikeski

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just took the dog out. Tested again. The bed lights do just stay on. So these 921-CW12 's will not work as bed lights because there is no room to attach a resistor.

So at the moment I am thinking that the WLED-CWHP15's are the best so far for the backup lights and bed lights.

mikeski
Tks for the help. That narrows it down a bit.

Cheers!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Because of the room and reflector size I bet a WLED-CWHP18 will fit in there. I am going to order a pair of those and see how that works. I will probably end up with a pair of 921-CW12 's in my hand by Friday again.

mikeski

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the 921-CW12's are not the way to go for back up then? I'm guessing because they point straight back?? So witch 15's are you saying for the Bed? The "TAC" or the "T"? These are the 15's I can see for my truck, but they are under the liscense plate light?? Sorry about this, a newbie at the light thing.....lol.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ha, I was a newbie last week. You learn allot fast here.

Hmmm, I did not look at the backup lights yet. Maybe the 921-CW12 's will work there??? I might still have a home for the orphan pair.

For bed lights I know the WLED-CWHP15 will fit. You need to install a 100 ohm 1Watt resistor like I posted in another topic.

For the backup lights I know the WLED-CWHP15 with a 100 ohm resistor will fit and work nicely.

I would also like to test the WLED-CWHP18 in at least the backup lights. I think they will be to big for the bed light reflector. I am not saying they won't fit. I think they will onscure more of the reflected light.

I am placing my order today for a couple pairs of lights to play with.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hmmm, The cost is quite prohibitive to add those 3 other led's. $6.95 vs $19.95. I think I will have to wait on that test.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
These will point upwards in my 2012.

mikeski

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you look at the housing for the reverse light you will see that the bulb comes in from the bottom and points up. It does not come in from the back and point out.

So, any led like you pointed out and the 921-CW12's which I tested in the reverse light hole will point up. The reflector will catch some light and reflect it out but a bulb with 360deg output would be better here because it will utalize the reflector just like a normal bulb.

When it get's dark I will post a couple of pictures with the different bulbs I have. It takes but a minute to change the bulb.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Interesting. Did you need resistors? Had no problems getting them into the housing?

Any pictures????

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you look at the housing for the reverse light you will see that the bulb comes in from the bottom and points up. It does not come in from the back and point out.

So, any led like you pointed out and the 921-CW12's which I tested in the reverse light hole will point up. The reflector will catch some light and reflect it out but a bulb with 360deg output would be better here because it will utalize the reflector just like a normal bulb.

When it get's dark I will post a couple of pictures with the different bulbs I have. It takes but a minute to change the bulb.
OK. Just checked mine and the bulb goes into the housing from the back.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So, for your year you could use that 5watt light suggested. That should light up well.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hers the c/w on the inside

And unless you are talking turn signal/brake light you dont need resistors i have led's in every single light and only place they were needed was in the back brake/turn light got switchbacks up front and did not need resistors with those

herex my resistors and rev light

Dont care much about my rev lights being bright since my tails are painted i just look out my back window.

tag lights in c/w

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice, did you put the pc version in the bed light also??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts