DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, to say the least I am a little bit confused:4-dontknow:

I went to the garage because my truck was swaying right (steering wheel was also turning) withing 1 pole lenght (100ft) Id be in the ditch. Just say when A passing lane came up, I let go of my corrective steering ha she went right into the slow lane itself.

I can't drive like this, I need to correct steer the whole damn time to the left, and its hard on everything

I got an alignment done, rotated my tires, checked everything and she was beautiful. She was toeing out (negative toe) a touch on the passanger side, but he said its nothing. It shouldn't have pulled that bad.

So on the way home 2 1/2 hr drive it kept doing it... I was fuming. Not at the garage, because I sat there and helped buddy do it.

So within the next few days (well when Im not tired from nightshift and its nice out) I will be going into the garage and playing with my toe. I will mark stock position (so I can always put back) and then start moving my tires to the left slowly. Test drive after each little move to see the impact. I am 100% positive its my toe, I feel the pressure on the wheel and shes pulling me right bad.:sad:

I know a lot of you guys are probably wondering "you need a damn alignment machine for that!" But I am not wasting $80 a pop on an alignment machine in the damn shop. I know its a touchy situation but Once I get it done myself, a final alignment will see.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Align

I'm not so sure about some alignment shops. The first time I had it done, my steering wheel was crooked. Took it back. The second time, they left the control arm bolts loose. Took it back. The third time it pulled like crazy to the left. Took it back. Now, it pulls a little bit to the right. I am having the Dodge dealer check it for free on a coupon I have.:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its hard to trust people, I know a sticking brake caliper would also cause my pull but it seems fine to me when I had my rims off... so Im going to play around a bit when I have time.
Than next time im in the city go to the dodge dealer. A lot of people up here don't want to touch aftermarket rims. I sit there and watch them. I had bad experiences in the past with them chipping my powdercoating. So I sit there and eyeball the crap out of them ha

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
my first thought is to go to an alignment shop with the high tech lazer system, but you can't make it much worse than it is. i am guessing they checked for loose/ bent front end parts. also.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my first thought is to go to an alignment shop with the high tech lazer system, but you can't make it much worse than it is. i am guessing they checked for loose/ bent front end parts. also.

Im so frustrated, went under today started playing around.

Bolts were loose... I am going to swap my tires around AGAIN today, make sure my caliper ain't sticking. Than suck it up and spend 139.99 for an alignment next week.

This is damn pathetic, just from switching tires

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sounds to me like someone screwed up when they put your tires on no? Did you get new wheels/tires recently or did the problem develop awhile after you got them?

I got new tires/wheels and it didnt pull AT ALL before alignment (really wasnt even out of spec). If it started happening AFTER the wheels/tires then maybe they loosened something?

Or did you buy wheels/tires yourself and put them on? Just doesnt sound right to pull like that. Maybe you broke something. I went from the stock 33" tall tires to 34.5" tires and 11 3/4" wide and didnt have issues.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You can get a pretty close toe alignment yourself. Put a cinder block(or something heavy) in front and behind the vehicle, about in line with the wheels/tires. Run a string from block to block, make sure it's pulled TIGHT. Move the blocks until the string runs across the back tire, perfectly straight. You can then see if the front wheel is matched to that and straight with the string.

It's not perfect, but it gets you very close and good enough. I don't think I've ever paid for an alignment except a few months ago on my wife's little car, I've always done it like this. If I had a vehicle with 4 wheel independent suspension then probably I'd pay for it as there wouldn't be a good reference point to string off of.

You can also check camber by using a level vertically on the tire. Not sure how to adjust for that though, it's always been spot on when I check it...but adjusting toe is easy. Make sure you're on level, flat ground when doing this, obviously.

If you have a sticking caliper the wheel will get HOT. Get on the highway for a while let it "pull" you and fight the steering wheel, then pull over and compare temperature of each front wheel. If one is warm and one is HOT then most likely a sticking caliper. If they are around the same temp, probably not.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
139.00 is nothing for safety and even tire wear. i migt go back to orig. shop and asked how they aligned with loose bolts in the front end. waiting to hear back on this.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Let us know how you make out......I wonder as well just like huntergreen stated.....How did they complete that with the bolts loose.......Hmmmmm, makes you wonder sometimes.......Good luck and I hope it all works out for you....

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Im so frustrated, went under today started playing around.

Bolts were loose... I am going to swap my tires around AGAIN today, make sure my caliper ain't sticking. Than suck it up and spend 139.99 for an alignment next week.

This is damn pathetic, just from switching tires
you did tighten the loose bolts right.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys, its not the alignment. I played around with it yesteday an had no effect at all. I put it back to exactly where the shop had it.

TODAY
I put my winter tires back on the front end today, and guess what. Yup, straight as an arrow.

So its the tires/rims. My next thing im doing is putting my winters on the back. Than running each set of summers in the front and see if they all pull, or just one set.

I can narrow it down pretty quickly this way. Been talking to a few boys, saying its the belts, water in the tires, tires aren't balanced....

So guys stay tuned, I work nighshift so I really only have an hour or two of free time to play every day, so be patient. I am frustrated myself.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are aftermarket 20" Rockstars. I ran them last summer without a problem. Its just maybe during storage in the winter something F*ed up, I don't know?

Its not a sticking caliper I jacked the front end toady while changing my tires around, wheels turned freely, no resistance at all

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Crappy Goodyears...

Well guys, I will let you be the judge.

This one tire I ran on my Passenger Side Rear all last summer (I mark them before I put them away for storage) and the others are all level.

Do you see something wrong here?? Junk

Going to goodyear thursday here to try and get a new one under warranty:att:

All the others:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does the whole tire roll like that? or is it only raised in one section? Could be seperated tire, with belts lifting. But usually you can see the section that its doing it on. Very weird that it drove fine last year and now its giving you greif.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its bubbled like that around the whole tire, not just a section.

I had to hold it vertical level than show how bad it was horizontally.

That tire was ran in the rear all last year, and this summer (well spring) I put it back in the front and yeah thats how the frustration began.

These are the stock wranglers the rams come with off the lot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My last two Dodge dealers couldnt align two sheets of paper, I bought tires and life time alignment for my charger a few years back from Firestone and they had that thing on the money everytime, so I am taking the truck there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts