DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install an aftermarket backup camera? I know this is not a hard install (I just got done doing it) but my question is when I wire the power and ground for the camera itself, obviously the red goes to red (in my case, it was a purple wire for the reverse lights) and the black goes to???...I just ran it to a ground but was wondering if I should wire it to the black on the reverse lights. I have power to the camera and it displays an image but no leds come on. That's why I'm wondering if I have to wire both red and black to the reverse lights instead of grounding it on the truck itself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't think it should matter where it's grounded to. Theoretically all grounds have continuity and are tied together. Just a thought, the lights you can not see may be infared. If that is the case, it is not visible to the naked eye. If you were to look at the lights at night with night vision goggles, it would probably look like a flashlight. Test it at night, and if it appears to be well lit, that is the case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you added that comment about infrared light. On the box it says they are infrared but I didn't know what that meant. I just assumed they would have a light output. I was almost ready to return it. I will test it out tonight. I actually rewired it so it runs off the license plate lights so they will come on when I turn on my parking and/or headlights.
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts