DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Ram Ecodiesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure where to put this but anyways…

Today I was backing up to attach a trailer and my backup camera didn’t turn on.
At first it had a black screen with the sentence on top saying whatever.
Then the screen went greenish black kinda looked like the color was BFG lol.

Not sure what happened my buddy walked up to my truck and opened and shut my tailgate which I said to him had nothing to do with it.
But as soon as he banged the tailgate it turned on.
Hasn’t acted up since.
I did have my paint guy take the tailgate off and paint it when I went into a ditch in the snow but that was a while ago.

Maybe that has something to do with it?
I was thinking it was a loose wire but I’d like to hear from you guys before I do anything.
If any of you have had this problem or would know anything about it please tell me lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a similar issue off/on with my 2013 1500. About once in twenty times I would back up, no picture. It turned out that the connector holding the camera/other cable at the base of the tailgate had broken off. The cable would flip around a bit in the channel at the bottom of the tailgate, and I guess sometimes end up in a position that caused the issue.

I clamped it down with a zip tie and a plastic snap so it no longer moved around, and haven’t had the problem since.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Not sure what happened my buddy walked up to my truck and opened and shut my tailgate which I said to him had nothing to do with it.
Hasn’t acted up since.
I did have my paint guy take the tailgate off and paint it when I went into a ditch in the snow but that was a while ago.

I was thinking it was a loose wire but I’d like to hear from you guys before I do anything.
If any of you have had this problem or would know anything about it please tell me lol.
my 2014 V6 does that. screen looks like an old tube TV with a tube gone bad, Usually will do it after I've had the tailgate down and close. I have to get out and open and bang it close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a ‘13 2500. This happens all the time with mine. What worked the longest is opening up the tailgate and disconnecting camera plug. I applied a little dielectric grease to the plug, reconnected and then did like another person said, zip tied it so it wouldn’t bounce around. It still occasionally happens. But always comes back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hasn’t acted up since.

Very common. Loose connectors. Lots of youtubes on this. Open tailgate take off inside cover and check connections. They are loose and bounce around. Zip tie to frame. I did that and no more issues.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 4x4 Sport Crew Cab
52 Posts
take the inspection panel off inside of tailgate, unplug and spray electrical cleaner on both ends, I use canned air after that, then plug back in the connection, then tape it with electrical tape....correctly!... make sure it's zip tied as should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts