DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought my 2020 1500 Classic two months ago in order to tow a travel trailer. Everything is great there.
While researching some other things in the past few days, I've seen YouTube videos where some trucks have white dashed lines on the backup camera display, showing where the hitch is.
My display doesn't have that... but would be really handy.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Would be appreciated.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you tried touching the magnifying glass icon on the upper left corner of your screen when backing up?

When I do that; it gives me a closeup view that includes my trailer ball.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried touching the magnifying glass icon on the upper left corner of your screen when backing up?

When I do that; it gives me a closeup view that includes my trailer ball.
Ric, that would be great, but when taking a look in my truck no magnifying glass icon appeared. So unfortunately not an option.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ric, that would be great, but when taking a look in my truck no magnifying glass icon appeared. So unfortunately not an option.
I don’t understand that; it was there on the smaller screen in my 2019 Tradesman, and it's there on the 8.4” screen in my 2020 Laramie.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have a 2019 1500 classic Laramie with the 8.4 inch screen and I do not have a magnifying glass icon either when the backup camera is activated on the display.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you checked to see if it’s something you can activate in your “settings?”

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked to see if it’s something you can activate in your “settings?”
Ric, I believe that I ran through all the settings.
Only two more trips this fall with our travel trailer so not a big deal, currently. Will talk to the dealer during my first service visit which will most likely occur over the winter (and long before I need to hook up another trailer on my own).

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I went into my settings and can not find anything to activate any lines for the hitch. I looked at the backup camera icon for settings and else where in settings and there is nothing in my 2019.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I don't think Ram has a hitch alignment line that shows up on the screen. I can see my ball fine on the back up camera and it shows a wide view for normal backing up, but no alignment line. I looked for videos but could only find this hitch alignment line on Ford and Chevy pickups.

My camera shows the ball very well and would show the trailer hitch as well so I don't see the need for an alignment line in my case.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I’ll try to remember to go out tomorrow and take a pic of my screen with the icon, and then another after I select it and the camera zooms into close up mode.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My camera display view is quite large, in my opinion. As such, it is not enough detail for me to see if the ball is positioned directly under the hitch. (Or maybe I need to wear my reading glasses when backing up and looking at the screen)
Heading out Friday with the trailer, so will test it out then. Unfortnately, I have nowhere to store my trailer at home, so it is at a storage facility.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nope, I don't have a zoom button and therefore do not have that camera or software options.
I don’t recall the terminology, but did you find the choice to select fixed or active guide lines (again, not sure that they’re called that) for the rear camera in your settings?

That may be where the center line comes from, and I did have that on the 5.0 screen on my ‘19 Tradesman, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t recall the terminology, but did you find the choice to select fixed or active guide lines (again, not sure that they’re called that) for the rear camera in your settings?

That may be where the center line comes from, and I did have that on the 5.0 screen on my ‘19 Tradesman, too.
I've walked through all the settings. Haven't noticed anything that has helped. Will ask at the dealership on my first oil change / maintenance appointment.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I did a little web surfing just now, and found some info about the camera connection at the bottom of the tailgate getting moisture in it, and the “lines” disappearing from the camera image. Disconnecting and drying out the connectors resulted in the lines returning to the image. More than a couple of folks reported that getting moisture out of that connection cured their backup camera problems.

While I can’t grasp the idea that the image still displayed, but without the lines; it seems like it’s worth a try...

Also, I believe that the line settings I couldn’t remember previously was selecting “active” or “static” lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I bought my 2020 1500 Classic two months ago in order to tow a travel trailer. Everything is great there.
While researching some other things in the past few days, I've seen YouTube videos where some trucks have white dashed lines on the backup camera display, showing where the hitch is.
My display doesn't have that... but would be really handy.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Would be appreciated.
Go to Settings-Camera- check Active lines. Not backup camera... I dont have the zoom or center white lines either,,,not needed as the ball is visible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts