DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we went camping last weekend with the family in Myrtle Beach and had a great time. One of the highlights was watching this guy that backed his trailer on top of the power pole. They had to shut off power to our whole row in the campground, and use a loader to lift his trailer off the box to dig the box out.

Needless to say, if you're backing up I recommend you have a spotter jump out and call your cell. Either use the Bluetooth in your RAM or put it on speakerphone so you can hear when to stop. This guy was driving a GMC Denali that looked obviously overloaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
So we went camping last weekend with the family in Myrtle Beach and had a great time. One of the highlights was watching this guy that backed his trailer on top of the power pole. They had to shut off power to our whole row in the campground, and use a loader to lift his trailer off the box to dig the box out.

Needless to say, if you're backing up I recommend you have a spotter jump out and call your cell. Either use the Bluetooth in your RAM or put it on speakerphone so you can hear when to stop. This guy was driving a GMC Denali that looked obviously overloaded.
We camp a lot in areas with no cell coverage. We use 2 way radios and they work great. The only problem I have had is the wife forgets to key the mic before she talks. Now she holds the key down all the time while we are backing in tight spots. As a former truck and equipment operator I could back anything about anywhere but it never hurts to have another pair of eyes.

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
The trailers left side tires are not even on the parking pad !!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Wow, that's a PITA. I love having my rear view cam, but the wife will usually still be out guiding me because the camera doesn't see the sides of the trailer and on sharp turns, the mirror won't have a view of it either.
I also enjoy pull through sites ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
I prefer pull through sites because it is just me usually when I go camping. My TT is prewired for a backup cam, after seeing this I may pick it up.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I prefer pull through sites because it is just me usually when I go camping. My TT is prewired for a backup cam, after seeing this I may pick it up.
I second this. I had a boat for many years and got really good at backing it up. But the visibility of backing a camper trailer seems like a wholenother story. Think I'll get a backup cam as well when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Another key if you don't have a good spotter is to make small moves and then get out for a look and then move some more.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Hell, I have my wife spot me when I back into a tight parking space. No way I wouldn't at least be hopping in and out to check if I wasn't with someone

·
Registered
775 Posts
The problem I have found with pull through sites is the campground usually wants 3-5 bucks a night extra for them. I usually leave those for the old ladys traveling by themselves and large motorhomes pulling cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts