DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning driving in to work I noticed a strange smell each time I had to switch on the defroster.

It was a chemical odor, maybe I could describe it as a melted plastic odor?

It was only present when the defroster was on, if I turn it to auto and switch recirc on it goes away.

Anyone ever have this problem before?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it just go away?
Intermittent?

It was really cold here this morning, like 25. Maybe that had something to do with it.

I'm taking it in to get checked on Saturday, I'll let you know what they find.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a ghost odor like that too. However, I wouldn't describe it as chemical...more like a wet mildew smell. It happens maybe once every two weeks and then goes away until I stop thinking about it. I cant find any damp spots, the smell can happen on sunny days (then not be there when I restart 5 minutes later), it can happen cold or hot.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
More than likely it is mildew or moisture in the blower motor area. I used to have this on my jeep often. hopefully it will stop doing it!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a ghost odor like that too. However, I wouldn't describe it as chemical...more like a wet mildew smell.
That is something entirely different.

What you are referring to is called "dirty sock syndrome"
No BS, google it.

It is caused by a bacteria growing on the coil and can be almost impossible to get rid of.
Sometimes the coil can be kept clear with UV light but other times it needs to be replaced with a coil that has a special coating that will prevent the growth of bacteria.

My brand new Trane has this issue, thats why I'm so familiar with it =[

The problem I'm having happens ONLY in defrost mode and smells kinda like glue? Contact cement maybe.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like there's a circuit that's getting to hot and possibly melting a wire, that or the defrost is heating up an adhesive somewhere that needs to burn off. Best bet is to let her run with the windows cracked for a while and just try and let it work itself out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts