DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In adding the Body Guard bumpers (http://www.bodyguardbumpers.com/) and all the necessary tools to facilitate the mobile Exhaust shop in the bed Big Brake upgrade was definitely up for consideration. With nearly 600 lbs of tools in the bed the brake feel was okay at best and while stock felt adequate, heavy braking provided less confidence and fade was an issue.

The Baer Extreme Plus (https://baer.com/15-Front-Extreme-Plus-Brake-System-4141022.html) big brake upgrade offers a giant 15" two piece rotor and 6 piston monoblock front caliper for the front and a matching cross drilled and slotted rotor replacement for the rear.

I was impressed with the ease of installation the most. It took no more than 1 hour to tear down, install and bleed the system, using a lift and air tools. I would presume no lift and hand tools would only add a half-hour. The Baer brake system includes all new billet caliper brackets and everything you need to make the install a true bolt-on modification.

After running a quick safety check and bedding the pads, the performance increase was huge. Pedal feel was solid and after a few high speed stops the fade noticed with the OE brakes was gone.

Price Value .......... 4/5 ... not inexpensive but delivers the value of a high-end performance brake system
Performance ........ 5/5 ... quiet pads, solid street performance, fade nearly eliminated
Installation .......... 5/5 ... true bolt-on upgrade, no special tools required
Finish ................. 5/5 ... parts are well packed and the custom finish is top notch

Total Score 19 / 20

·
Registered
355 Posts
How do you define "fade"?

Better brakes are always a wise investment, and moreso if you add weight like you did - good call. :) And Baer has a solid reputation.

·
Registered
755 Posts
How do you define "fade"?
Loss of brake feel as the brakes overheat, most OEMs don't handle heat well and have gas build-up and/or glazing to the pads as you use them hard. Would mostly be noticed riding the brakes on downhills or the fun Atlanta stop go (It's a sprint to 70, then hard brake to zero and repeat). Unless you're one of the guys buying Porsche/BMW/Audi and getting the carbon-ceramics, they need the heat to work well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Loss of brake feel as the brakes overheat, most OEMs don't handle heat well and have gas build-up and/or glazing to the pads as you use them hard. Would mostly be noticed riding the brakes on downhills or the fun Atlanta stop go (It's a sprint to 70, then hard brake to zero and repeat). Unless you're one of the guys buying Porsche/BMW/Audi and getting the carbon-ceramics, they need the heat to work well.
This I understand...I was asking the OP how HE defines it - he stated he felt the system was resistant to fading...which would imply he's gone to a track and done multiple, back-to-back 60-0 stops to test for fade resistance - I'm curious to know if that's the actual case or not... ;)

Just doing a couple stops on the street wouldn't really induce fade...but doing a half dozen back-to-back hard stops in a controlled environment could.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the delayed response.

I had the opportunity to spend the day at El Toro MCAS testing several other vehicles that day (was a magazine test day rental)

The "fade" i experienced was after 0-60-0 with the stock set-up. I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to reuse the measuring equipment but the difference was not slight but night and day. The stock fade was apparent after 4 back to back tests (no more than 10 mins between runs) first 2 stops were just shy of 140' and the 3rd-6th 150'+ (cones were 10' increments and nothing beyond 150') I can say the stopping distance did easily change by truck lengths and the front rotors / pads were steaming

With the Baer products (same stock tires) the difference as replicated on some side streets was notable. The first 4 stops were in the 125-130' mark 5th-6th around 135'-140' as measured from the stop marker to the nearest 5'.

If I was going to really document the performance I would have waited for another track day but I had to go on with the build and the suspension mods and wheel and tire change would have negativity changed the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts