DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hard Folding top durability...

Have been looking at hard folding covers - I have an inexpensive soft folder now, but think I want to move to a hard folder, or possibly event a hard top like an Undercover.

But, the MX4 looks really nice. I like that you can close tailgate regardless of whether cover is open or closed, which is apparently uncommon for hard folders. I also like the one hand cable operated opening latch. If you read through forums etc they get recommended often.

Then I started seeing some recent reviews. There's a particularly horrible one on Amazon, but also in the forums it seems people are complaining about leaks, and bad seals, rubber, etc, panels not holding up. Most of these seem recent, while older reviews all seem great. I'm wondering if something changed recently, supplier/parts change, QC, etc if newer units are getting so many bad reviews now...

So, for BakFlip MX4 users, how is yours holding up? Reality is for hard folders the 3 main choices seem to be the BakFlip models, UnderCover Elite, and Extand Solid Fold 2.0. There may be others, but those seem to be the most popular options. I would prefer one that does not require you to open the rear panel to close the tailgate, which is why I was looking at the MX4 - are there other hard folders that allow this as well?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I checked around a few shops, not a lot of love for Bakflip. One shop won't sell them, another will if you insist on one but will make the customer sign a waiver that any followup work, warranty etc be done directly with the manf. Apparently the don't have a good rep for holding up and cust. service is not good either.

Looked at the Undercover Flex Ultra and the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 - of the two I prefer the UC flex, but looking at reviews, it seems all the hard folder have leaking issues. Hell my cheap $200 Amazon soft folder doesn't leak a drop. Not really keen on spending a grand or so and have top that leaks. I'm tempted to just go ahead and get another hard top, ie the Undercover Elite.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I've just about given up on a solid fold... every shop says there's are best (whatever brand they are carrying/pushing - one shop it's BakFlip, another it's Solid Fold, etc... When I ask about all these videos on Youtube about leaking at the hinges they act like they never heard or it, isn't possible, etc. They say it must be install error or damage to top causing leaks or it's the "old version"... nevermind that these reviews are only a few months old in most cases. And I'm not picking on any one manf, google any of the main solid fold tops and "leaks" and there are bunch of vids that come up for all of them :(. Only one that doesn't show up a bunch for leaking is the G4 FoldACover, but nobody around me carries them.

Not really wanting a hard top again - I guess I'm going to stick with my low buck vinyl tri fold that doesn't leak one bit. Save up for a nice topper I guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the covers you mentioned are made by the same manufacturer just under a different name. https://truck-hero.com/brands
lol that's interesting - I did notice "truck hero" branding here and there but had no idea they had so many brands. I see Rugged Liner as one of them as well - that is one of the only solid folders that didn't have many complaints about leaking - of course it's not as popular as the "bigger" brands from Truck Hero, so maybe not as many out there as BF, Extang, UC, etc. It's also made in China instead of USA. Maybe China figured out how make hinges that don't leak? Now that I think about it, one local shop called it a copy/knock off of the Solid Fold when I asked about it, kinda dismissing it. Funny that it's the same company.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the ultra flex by undercover installed it myself been pretty happy with it doesn't leak or anything my only complaint is it gets hot as hell in the sun I could probably cook burgers on the bloody thing

·
8,090 Posts
Truck Hero is the parent company of a bunch of the tonneau cover manufacturers but that doesn't mean they're all manufactured in the same factory by any means. That's like saying Fox manufacturers all BDS, Zone, RT Pro, etc in the same factory... they don't.

I've had a Bakflip G2 on my truck for almost 5 years now and I wouldn't buy it again. The seals pulled back and started leaking within a couple years. Some of the hardware has rusted and doesn't operate as well as it should anymore. But my biggest peeve is that the finish has rubbed off the cover in a few spots from driving with it flipped up (which I do very seldom). I'm not sure if the MX4 is plagued with the same problems but I'd be leery to go with it.

If I was buying another cover now I'd likely go with the Undercover Flex. They have the same rear seal as the MX4 that allows you to close the tailgate without lifting the rear panel of the cover.

If you want pricing on either option shoot me an email to [email protected] and we can provide a quote with the forum discount.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally decided and went with the Solid Fold 2.0. I was really leaning toward the undercover flex ultra, but there are many complaints about how it holds up after a year or two, that and my local shop installed 8 for the local FD and had to replace every one within a year. Plus I really didn't want to deal with rails, so that dropped down the options quite a bit - basically the Sold Fold, Rugged Liner/Rugged Liner Premium, and Lund Trilogy (which is just a re-badged Rugged Liner Premium.)

So far so good, no leaks and I also had them install a pair of bull rings front and back...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts