DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Bakflip F1 for my 2012 shortbed. I installed it without the shims as they were not in the box. Everything went together smooth and it looks even without any tilt. I called Bakflip and they promptly sent out the shims.

Are the shims necessary? The instructions call for them up to the 2011's but this could be that the instructions were printed prior to 2012. What purpose do the shims serve? Is it added security for installation or to facilitate in the water drainage?

When the panels are folded all the way forward against the cab is it suppose to rest against the window? I put the adhesive on to cushion it when it contacts the cab/rear window. The panel closest to the cab (narrow piece) has two rubber adhesive pieces that are about 2" long that appear to cushion the folded panels. These strips are on the outside of each bolt that goes through the panel. In looking at pics of other Bakflips, I don't see these strips. Is this something new? I looked over the instructions several times and there is no mention of either aforementioned adhesive cushioning strips.

Overall, it is a nice cover and I am very happy with it.

Next mod is nerf bars:smileup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Gave the truck a wash and found a teenie bit of water in the bed. I had a whole lot more in the bed of my Avalanche after a wash. The amount with the F1 was insignificant and barely worth mentioning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had a bak flip on my F150 and while it called for shims, I installed without and never had an issue in over 18 months of service. And you're correct, those rubber baby buggy bumpers are to cushion the BF when it folds up completely and rests against your back window. If I recall they should end up on the underside of the last panel so that when folded completely they rest against the rear window. BF is a great product, enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts