DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i do this mod i would like confirmation on whether light output is hurt when painting the chrome part black on head and fog lights when still using the factory bulbs. (NOT HID)

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Before i do this mod i would like confirmation on whether light output is hurt when painting the chrome part black on head and fog lights when still using the factory bulbs. (NOT HID)
Hi again Dalton, the chrome is the light reflector, if you paint it will it be a reflector. The painting needs to be kept away from the primary reflector you can paint the surrounding area though. There are tint paints made to darken or smoke the lenses if that is what you are contemplating. Again this is an opinion and just my 2¢!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi again Dalton, the chrome is the light reflector, if you paint it will it be a reflector. The painting needs to be kept away from the primary reflector you can paint the surrounding area though. There are tint paints made to darken or smoke the lenses if that is what you are contemplating. Again this is an opinion and just my 2¢!
its the same light output but be for warned its no easy task many of us have tried and failed its the glue and getting them back together with a good seal and oh ya you cant do the fogs its a 1 peice set up i tried to do my headlights and messed them up big time so i bought black projectors with hid's and love them

·
Registered
192 Posts
Baking is actually pretty easy, Set your oven to 225 and bake for 20 mins, Yes I said 20 mins.

Just like smoking food, Low and SLOW!!! After you pull them out you need to work at them pretty quickly and they will come apart.

I totally agree with painting the Main reflector. Don't do it!! You will hurt your light output severely because the reflector is what shines the light forward!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just did a how to on my thread in this section if you are interested. Im happy with mine. Wigbill98 makes it sound easy getting them apart. Have you done it? I had a bitch of a time getting mine apart but I was using the 10 min at 250 method.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes I have, My first one I tried doing it at a hotter setting at a shorter time. But I did alot of research on the net after my first thinking I made a HUGE mistake. But after reading a ton of stuff, I got information from one of the retro fitter websites and using the low and slow is the way to go! Holy Crap that rhymed!

You have to be pretty aggressive when you take them apart but they will come and you wont mess up the back too much so they "should" go back together without too much trouble!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
It is not a difficult task as stated .. just pay attention to all the details and you'll be fine. I cleared my headlights in 2 hours that is baking and removing the diffusor. Then after I baked them again and clapped the edges with wire clamps, I let it sit for 3 hours so that it will be completely sealed.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes I have, My first one I tried doing it at a hotter setting at a shorter time. But I did alot of research on the net after my first thinking I made a HUGE mistake. But after reading a ton of stuff, I got information from one of the retro fitter websites and using the low and slow is the way to go! Holy Crap that rhymed!

You have to be pretty aggressive when you take them apart but they will come and you wont mess up the back too much so they "should" go back together without too much trouble!!
Interesting I'll have to try that next time. My son is buggin me to do his Impala lights.

·
Registered
192 Posts
20 mins seems like a awful long time and if you do get scared pull them out and try it at 15 mins. I was scared as well, opening up the oven after 10 then after 15 but it worked fine. It was more comical watching my youngest step daughter when I put my headlight in the oven. Priceless!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts