DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I decided to take on separating and painting my own headlights. It was a challenge but I figured I would write it up for the next person that wants to try it.

I have a 2016 1500 Express in Granite Crystal. I wanted the black headlights but didnt have the cash to spend so I got a cheap set of OEM stock QUAD headlights off craigslist to experiment with.

Rule number 1.

TAKE YOUR TIME, DO NOT TRY AND RUSH.

I started with watching a lot of youtube videos to get the idea.

I took the headlights and made sure I stripped them of all accessories and bulbs. take everything you can off (I left the bolt for headlight adjustment, that was fine).

Preheat the oven to 220.

Set the headlights on a tray with tin foil and put in the over for 10 minutes.

Be careful taking out they will be hot.
But you also need to work fast.
Dont be alarmed if you dont get them opened the first time you can just start over its OK.

Take a flat head screw driver and carefully start to pry the lens apart.
Basically say your looking at the top of the headlight slide your screwdriver in flat with the seam. Then pry the black housing upwards. (Yes it will bend it a little but you can work it back to the original shape when your done it wont be an issue). As you pry you will see the end of the lens inside the track. As your prying upward you will most likely be able to see the glue separating from the lens. Keep working it all around the light. When you think you have loosened it enough try and pry apart starting by the side of the light thats closest to the grill. Take your time but work diligently, I know that sounds funny but it will be tough just be careful and keep a good eye on it as your prying. It should make sense when your doing it.

Once you have the lights separated (CONGRATS).

This is important...
Take the time to remove all factory glue in the housing track where it meets the lens. DO NOT SKIP THIS. I didnt do this the first time and I had to go back and re do it. Taking the time to do this will make a huge difference when you go to put them back together. TRUST ME.

Its not hard you can put them back in the oven same temp and time maybe even not a full 10 minutes and take a flat head and just work your way around the track till its all out.

Now you have it all apart.

I taped off the Reflective area for the blinker (DO NOT DO THIS RIGHT AWAY) I think I taped to soon after I removed from oven on the one light and when i removed the tape it pulled some of the chrome. The other light was fine tho and I didnt tape that one till like a day later.

I paint matched mine to Granite Crystal with a friend of mine who does body work (Coastal Auto Cosmetics, here in Wilmington NC)

We sprayed the insert and we used night shade spray to darken up the Orange corner reflector.

Let this dry and dont rush it.

When your ready to put it back together....
Theres lots of things you can use and there certainly may be better things then what I used but I went with regular Black Silicone.

First I placed the Painted insert back into the track, then i ran a nice bead of caulk all the way around the track.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOW.

When putting the lens back on wear gloves and be very cautious of not touching inside the lens ,I did UGH :( but its ok only i can notice, start with the outside of the light that tiny corner, thats the toughest to get back in just take our time and work it in it will go.

(Side note** Be carefull trying to clean inside the lens make sure you use something super soft. I used a little bit of a rough paper towel and actually got some scratches inside the lens. After a good buff and polish it went away, but it was certainly avoidable.)

Once the light was all back together i ran more silicone around the seam.

Then I did it again! I made sure there was no way moisture or water could break through that seam. Does it look professional, honestly no but its hidden in the truck and no one see that but it certainly wont leak! LOL

let that sit and dry for a while.

I did a water test, put all the pieces back on the back of the housing so its sealed. I then ran a hose, with no nozzle just open tip, around the seam gently but a lot of water. Examine the light and make sure you have no leaks. If you do open the back set her in the sun and let it dry out re silicone and try again.

I also left the lights outside over night for a few days to make sure that the temp changes and the dew and what not didnt create moisture inside.

All was good so I went for the install.

They went in tonight and now I hope they will remain good!

Hope this helps the next person, I have never done a write up so if I left anything out just ask and I will be happy to try and help.

Take your time and good luck!

I am sorry the pics are small, I dont know how else to post them.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it looks pretty good. Are you going to do the fog light too?
I would definitely like too, but im going to wait a little and see if i can find a spare set like i did for the headlights!

·
Registered
415 Posts
great write up,
I have the factory projectors and throwing them in the oven seems insane (about 2200$ replacement cost) lol

you're brave!

if I can get a pair off kijiji for cheap, I would open them up and get them painted, but not risking it with the only pair I have lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great write up,
I have the factory projectors and throwing them in the oven seems insane (about 2200$ replacement cost) lol

you're brave!

if I can get a pair off kijiji for cheap, I would open them up and get them painted, but not risking it with the only pair I have lol

Lol yea no way would I do that either! I waited till I got a spare set to mess with. Even after doing it once I would never do em with the only set I have lol find a cheap set online and mess with those! I messaged people selling rams with the black quads to see if anyone still had their stocks laying around.... some people just want to clean the garage lol

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Good write up. A good video can also help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts