DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my latest dilemma... Registration is due 2/15/12 and it won't pass emissions since the Check Engine light is on. Two codes, one for O2 Sensors (which I'll be replacing shortly) and one for the Torque Converter. So, since I can't get the transmission rebuilt before emissions, I was thinking of installing a battery disconnect switch so that I can disconnect the battery while waiting in line, clear the codes, then reconnect, start up the truck and go thru emissions before the torque converter code shows up.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I once had a truck that was driving me crazy. Every time I went and fixed it, something else would pop up.

I wound up pulling the cluster and running two wires from the ABS light to the CEL and put a thin rubber gasket behind the contact on the CEL.

When the key was turned on the CEL would light like it was supposed to and then go off.

After I passed Inspection I put it back the way it was and continued working on it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one heck of an idea. That's definitely a rig job for sure.. I like it, and I know it's cheaper than buying a disconnect system. How long of a job do you think it is to pull off the dash, pull out the cluster, rewire and put it all back in place? For someone that's not all that mechanically inclined that is.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Two screws on the cup holder, two screws on the ashtray, and then gently remove the Dash face and unplug the cigarette lighter. Then there's 4 or 6 screws to hold the cluster and it slides out far enough to unplug everything. 1/2 hour, rewire, 1/2 hour.

I used the tiny wires inside of an old computer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts