DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Ram 1500 battery loses charge when not used for a while.

With dome light fuse removed, opening passenger doors causes a 1.25 amp draw for several minutes, then it drops to 60 mA forever. The 1.25 amp draw goes away when the radio/cluster/hood light fuse #51 is removed. I tried temp disconnect the upgraded radio and the 1.25 amp draw remained. Perhaps this is something in the "cluster"? No under hood light option installed.

I replaced battery with new high dollar AGM battery and when engine running charges nicely above 14 volts. Battery has about 13.5 volts immediately on standby with the engine off, but soon drops below 12 V and below. All wiring and grounds check OK.

I would not think 60 mA would drain the battery down so quickly. I have bought a VDC BatteryMinder to keep connected as this truck is only used for camping a few times each year. Camper battery is disconnected. The big issue is when camping in wilds and it won't start!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
The 1.25A draw is typical for around 5 min after ignition turned off, and if you're dropping to 60mA constant off-key then that'd be your problem. You should see your off-key steady draw at no more than 35mA, so you do have an off-key draw. Best bet would be to set up your multimeter in-line with the negative battery cable and the battery, allow the amperage to stabilize for 5-10 min, then start pulling fuses to determine the offending circuit. Once you know what circuit you can start the trouble shooting process. I typically see issues in the trailer/tail lighting circuit with the SuperDuties at work, and typically it's caused by loose wires grounding out in the receptical or a tail lamp that has a short.

·
Registered
1 Posts
re-battery drain

I have the same problem in 04 3500. I agree with most of what previous writer said. About 50ma is general rule of thumb, normal draw shortly after shutdown. There is a captive fuse in front fuse box that Factory lift untill Dealer sells vehicle, this allows transportation etc but prevents battery drain through Instrument cluster. Hope this helps and if you find anything else please post it as I still have to find why I,m drawing 3.5amps.
Good Luck
Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts