DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Ram 2500 with 700 miles on it Anyone have any ideas I got Battery Saver Mode message on dash yesterday. After a few errands I stopped at store and when I came out Dead not able to start truck lights ,radio all other electrical functions seemed to be working. had to get jump on battery started right up. Anyone have this problem and can shed a little light on matter. I thought Alternator or belt because a little smell of burning rubber. Thoughts?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The battery saver (aka load shedding) means you have a charging issue, be it the alternator, drive belt, or PCM. Your warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 2013 Ford F150's had this issue, and to my knowledge, no solution yet.

Battery Saver Issue continually displays on screen after cutting truck off. Some people expereinced their truck not starting after a few cycles.

Ford blamed it on some strange "parasitic drain" on the battery, like the driver information center cluster staying on too long or mysteriously coming on when the truck was off, and key wasn't in iginition. A big mess. Its one of the reason's I got rid of my F150.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe battery is bad? Could you have been smelling a boiling battery?

What was it showing as far as charging goes? Not sure if you have a charge gauge or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was showing it was charging, more of a burning rubber smell . I called service dept. of my local dealer to ask what battery saver mode was and what was it saving battery for and Service writer had no clue what I was talking about. Going to dealer Monday morning hope it shows code when they plug it in. Little worried about driving and shutting truck off pretty bad for a 50G+ truck with 700 miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well went to dealer today they said battery had dead cell replaced battery. Can't figure how new truck battery goes bad so quick. I think it is something else but only time will tell.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well went to dealer today they said battery had dead cell replaced battery. Can't figure how new truck battery goes bad so quick. I think it is something else but only time will tell.
Probably just a bad battery from their factory.. a percentage of all new items will fail way sooner than they should.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Troops141 is correct. It happens from time to time, especially if your truck was displayed on the lot in customer mode instead of ship mode. This puts a slow draw on the battery and unless you or the dealer charges it back up at some point, the battery remains partially discharged. This can lead to a shortened battery life span. Chrysler charging systems are not designed to bring a low battery to a high state of charge - only to replace what the system is currently using.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This sort of happened to me the 1st week I had my 1500. No indication just went out one morning and nothing happened. I to jumped it and took it to the dealer. They told me nothing wrong with the truck and that sometimes when fresh from the factory the battery is not fully charged and that the truck won't charge the battery 100%. All they did was charge it up. 7 months and no repeat.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Chrysler charging systems are not designed to bring a low battery to a high state of charge - only to replace what the system is currently using.
Not just Chrysler, I had a car I only drove ~once a month, the battery would get low but still start the car, however, I burned up 3 alternators in about 18 months. If the battery is low charge it with a battery charger, not your alternator. Every time you drain a battery dead it loses some capacity, only takes a couple of times to really weaken it.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Not just Chrysler, I had a car I only drove ~once a month, the battery would get low but still start the car, however, I burned up 3 alternators in about 18 months. If the battery is low charge it with a battery charger, not your alternator. Every time you drain a battery dead it loses some capacity, only takes a couple of times to really weaken it.
I can believe that, but wasn't going to take the liberty of speaking for other manufacturers since I've been out of the independent game for so long.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Sometimes a battery can be bad when new it happens. They are a man made item even if a machine is used for production they are still a man made product and as such some are just going to bad from the get go.

Clearly you had a defective battery, Ram replaced it as they should now forget about it and move on and don't obsess about why your $50,000 dollar truck could have had a bad battery.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Bigg B, I noticed you have a plow- I heard there have been issues with Ram's running plows, even with the snow plow prep package.

I have a Fisher HT on my 1500 and the Battery Saver Mode message will come on occasionally. If I shut the truck off and restart it, the light goes off. Apparently there is an issue with the alternators and / or batteries according to internet research.

I made an appointment with the dealer but wasn't able to make it, so I haven't had my alternator or battery checked by them; chances are they would say all is well anyway.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You make a billion batteries a year. A couple go bad. A few people get them. It has to happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi folks, i have 2014 ram 1500 5.7. truck has almost 20k miles after 1.5 years of driving.

Today i received the battery saver mode message for the first time. along with the message, the ac turned off, the radio turned off, etc. When i got home about 7 minutes later, i measured the battery voltage with the truck off and it was 12.8. i then measured while engine was at idle and it was 14.

i should note at the time the message came on, the wipers were on, the headlights were on, ac on and radio on.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
hi folks, i have 2014 ram 1500 5.7. truck has almost 20k miles after 1.5 years of driving.

Today i received the battery saver mode message for the first time. along with the message, the ac turned off, the radio turned off, etc. When i got home about 7 minutes later, i measured the battery voltage with the truck off and it was 12.8. i then measured while engine was at idle and it was 14.

i should note at the time the message came on, the wipers were on, the headlights were on, ac on and radio on.

Any ideas?

What`s your gauge show, check the voltage at the battery with vehicle running and off with voltmeter

·
Registered
11 Posts
gauge in display shows 13 (though it will bounce up to 14) when at a stop and 14 while truck moving. voltmeter shows 12.8 with truck off and 14 when truck idling.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You would have to call service and ask what conditions puts it in battery safer mode, you may want to check your battery terminals for no corrosion and tightness

1 - 20 of 36 Posts