DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I needed to replace my battery and the stock sized one is pretty hard to find locally for me... so I upgraded it to a H8-AGM with 900cca.

When you take out the old one, on the bottom of the battery tray, there's a plastic triangle piece w a tab. Just press the tab back and lift it up and out to remove. The H8 fits perfect. Just another option I wanted to give you.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
I had no problem finding the stock size when I replaced mine a couple years ago. After replacing it I saw where someone else put a bigger one in like you did and wished I would have done that too at the time. It doesn’t need to have the bigger one, but it could prove good to have later on.

Reactions: MikeSumthin

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I had no problem finding the stock size when I replaced mine a couple years ago. After replacing it I saw where someone else put a bigger one in like you did and wished I would have done that too at the time. It doesn’t need to have the bigger one, but it could prove good to have later on.
Same here. Everyone has them. Stock is an AGM battery.

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same here. Everyone has them. Stock is an AGM battery.
It's a 94R-AGM... and my area for some reason doesn't keep a good stock supply of them. Needed one quick and got a bigger battery.

If you guys run into the same situation, you can do the H8-AGM or just have Topgun give you directions to his home town.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Even Sam's club has the right size.

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe where you live, but we just call it an Optima battery. lol
Did you see everyone saying how terrible Optima batteries are now and figured that you wanna live on the edge alittle?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did you see everyone saying how terrible Optima batteries are now and figured that you wanna live on the edge alittle?

For one thing, that guys a moron.
I've been a committed fan for years, I don't care if they're made in Mexico now because they're just as great as they've always been. So is their warranty, if you need it.
Wouldn't buy anything else.

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For one thing, that guys a moron.
I've been a committed fan for years, I don't care if they're made in Mexico now because they're just as great as they've always been. So is their warranty, if you need it.
Wouldn't buy anything else.
Ok, so besides that guy, there are several others saying how these batteries barely last as long as other brands and types for alot less money.

Have you run any of these Optima redtops for several years? I'm honestly curious how long they'll last. Even people w yellow tops are saying they're a waist of money.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok, so besides that guy, there are several others saying how these batteries barely last as long as other brands and types for alot less money.

Have you run any of these Optima redtops for several years? I'm honestly curious how long they'll last. Even people w yellow tops are saying they're a waist of money.

Yes I have, my last 36 month battery lasted 5 years and I only replaced it because it was getting old, but still worked fine.
They work just as good as any other gel battery imo.
The first one I had developed a bad cell in the last month of the last year I had it and it was replaced with a free battery of the same, no pro-rating on these.
100% free replacement if needed.
Vehicle Automotive side marker light Tire Grille Car

·
Registered
817 Posts
My original battery is 4 years old, and still worked good. BUT, to avoid an un-expected dead battery at the first cold snap this coming winter, I swapped mine out this morning at AutoZone. I up-graded to the DuraLast Platinum H8-AGM 900 cca battery. And a big THANK YOU to MikeSumthin for the tab removal info! (y)Thanks to his tip the new battery fits great.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
What exactly did you put in ? I know what your saying about the plastic piece that holds the battery in place but what’s the battery for? I’m having trouble with my alternator putting out enough volts for my system I installed two months ago I’ve been burning through batteries, I know I probably need a high output alternator and I bought the biggest battery they had at auto parts store it’s 850 cca but it’s already starting to die and I’ve heard the capacitor theory’s and I have a capacitor but it just don’t make sense to me… that would just be something else that would put the alternator under more stress???! Sorry I am just trying to figure this out..
Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
What exactly did you put in ? I know what your saying about the plastic piece that holds the battery in place but what’s the battery for? I’m having trouble with my alternator putting out enough volts for my system I installed two months ago I’ve been burning through batteries, I know I probably need a high output alternator and I bought the biggest battery they had at auto parts store it’s 850 cca but it’s already starting to die and I’ve heard the capacitor theory’s and I have a capacitor but it just don’t make sense to me… that would just be something else that would put the alternator under more stress???! Sorry I am just trying to figure this out..
Thanks
Mines an Optima battery, as far as you having an issue with batteries I don't know what to tell you? "System you installed?" sounds like the culprit of your battery issues though, I'd start there.
The point I was making is the Optima may be made in Mexico now, but I'm still getting the same quality as their older ones.
Good luck with your issue.
Tray

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks
You don't have an underdrive pulley installed, correct?

The H8-AGM I mentioned is 900cca's but I doubt that would help much if u have a tiny alternator struggling to keep up w a high demand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts