DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 week old 2018 Ram Eco diesel with 1,275 miles has been in the service department for 6 days. I noticed starting the engine was taking longer to crank over than in the proceeding days. I took it back to the dealer and they tell me it could be a battery problem. I'm told batteries are hard to come by and it will take at least a week to have one shipped to the service department.
All this seems a little odd to me. Can anyone out there shed some light on my problem?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
94R H7 batteries aren't super common, but they're not exactly hard to come by. Every auto parts store I've been to in the past year had them in stock in a variety of price/quality/chemistry ranges.

But a 2018 shouldn't be having battery issues either. Have them put it on a charger to get it up to full charge, I'm still on my original battery and I bought my truck over 5 years ago

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
that simply does not compute.
me thinks Dealer is BS'ing and has no idea.

Find another dealer, that warranty is good at FCA Dealers.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
the batteries in the new Rams at the dealerships are only given a Surface Charge at the Assembly Plant

Every Battery for vehicles should be given a Deep Cycle Charge
If you were to walk into a Battery Store, they would tell you that

I just bought a Yuasa Battery for my Harley Davidson, the battery had a tag on it that stated that fact

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
After 8 days at the dealer I was told the H7 battery was being replaced by the H8 model. The factory would be shipping in three weeks. I checked with Insterstate Batteries and they had not heard of the H7 problem, but they do have the H8’s in stock. I was able to find one at Winchester Auto (they had 4 in stock) and told the dealer I was going to purchase one and bring it to them for installation. The dealer ended up picking it up and installing it without charge. As you would expect.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
My 7 week old 2018 Ram Eco diesel with 1,275 miles has been in the service department for 6 days. I noticed starting the engine was taking longer to crank over than in the proceeding days. I took it back to the dealer and they tell me it could be a battery problem. I'm told batteries are hard to come by and it will take at least a week to have one shipped to the service department.
All this seems a little odd to me. Can anyone out there shed some light on my problem?

thanks
"Shed some light"...??? Sure... your dealer dosen`t know what the hell they`re doing. (as usual, they`re just guessing)
"could be a battery problem" "taking longer to crank" sounds like you`ve got more problems going on than just a battery problem.
"taking longer to crank" tells me something different than the battery being bad. How long is the starter turning the engine over before it actually fires up and runs...???

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Did they even bother to fully charge the battery and do a load test on it..? (doubtful)
Where`s the report on the work ticket about the charging system test. (they likely didnt test it)
I would go to a different dealer, and DOCUMENT in writing what was done and how it was repaired. COVER YOUR BUTT...!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Battery, H8

The long cranking period appeared to be from a weak battery. To the point where the last straw was needing a jump start. I’ve added 1,800 miles since the new battery installation without any sign of trouble, so far.
When I was told “battery problem” I was suspicious that dealer was guessing. How can a new battery go bad? Not sure I not sure what can go wrong with a new battery.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
A bad new battery can happen. Depends on how long it was stored before install and where it was stored. Store a battery on a concrete floor and you will soon find a dead battery as the concrete contact will draw he power right out. Always store on at least a couple pieces of 2x4. also depends on how much charge was put in it and as GT said it should have been given a full charge time before being delivered, but I doubt that that happened. Even a long drive won't fully charge a battery to full capacity.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yes, we always store truck batteries on wooden pallets at work. When I get a new battery I plan to ask the store if they'll put a full charge on it for me

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The long cranking period appeared to be from a weak battery. To the point where the last straw was needing a jump start. I’ve added 1,800 miles since the new battery installation without any sign of trouble, so far.
When I was told “battery problem” I was suspicious that dealer was guessing. How can a new battery go bad? Not sure I not sure what can go wrong with a new battery.
Well lets hope thats the end of it and you wont have anymore problems come up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts