DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha All!

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, V8, Hemi, 2WD, Automatic, gas powered with only 40K miles. I've changed oil religiously, but rarely drive it.
It drives fine, but I've noticed it kind of 'lurches' or misses a beat every now and then when I accelerate and if I punch the accelerator, it doesn't have that V8 boost it used to.
When I turn the key 3x, the MIL light shows P0700. I don't have a tool to pull codes from the TCM, so I took it to a local truck mechanic in town who pulled two more codes for $100
- P0602, Control module programming error, not programmed and/or fueling calibration error (I've read different forums showing different explanations!)
- P0613, internal tcm

The mechanic said he'd need 2-3 more hours to trace wires and try to diagnose it. Then, he has no idea what the worst case scenario could be. I didn't want to leave it there with an open tab, so I brought it home and have been researching possible causes/repairs.

I am wondering if the moisture here might have anything to do with it. It sure wreaks havoc on my gas power tools! Since I rarely drive the truck, it sits in my garage with fuel in the tank for long periods.

I couldn't find any other posts re: the P0613 code, I apologize if I overlooked anything. Any suggestions or knowledge re: my situation would be greatly appreciated. I read poor reviews about the local dealer in town and without knowing many people here yet, I haven't been fortunate to find anyone who strongly recommends any particular mechanic here.

Wondering if I should replace the PCM...

Thank you for any suggestions or advice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re: Deeper Scanner to pull TCM code/s

Thank you.
I wondered about that. I read P0700 meant there are more code/s stored in the TCM and a special diagnostic tool is required to pull those. The mechanic I took it to said he used a $10,000 scanner that was capabale of pulling any/every fault code. He charged me $100 and told me two codes came up, P0613 and P0602. He said he put his tool under my dash to pull the codes and I wondered if he could fault extract codes from the TCM from under the dash. I'm kind of upset now, if he charged me $100 for doing what an auto parts store would have done at no charge. I need to call him back to find out what type of scan tool he used and ask if it is capable of extracting codes from the TCM.
I read, "If the TCM compatible scan tool will not communicate with the Transmission Control Module then that is a good indication that there may be a fault with the TCM itself."
Another site said that if it is the TCM, I need to find out what caused it to fail before I buy and install a new one or whatever caused the first one to fail will likely cause the new one to fail.
My truck only has 40K on it. I'm going to trace all the wires/connections this week and clean them to see if any are corroded or broken.
Any other suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated!
Mahalo!
odie :smileup:

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
do you have a tranny shop you can go too? I know here that they don't charge to pull codes so it may be a good idea to call around to find out..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts