DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Which Bed Liner do you have?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was deciding what to do for a bed liner, I started searching for reviews on the forumz and elsewhere, but let's be honest, it's easier to have things in one place. It's also much nicer to have information that isn't from 2003.

I wanted to be cheap and throw in a drop-in liner, but I already had a scratch down to bare metal from a pallet that was slid in, and plenty of other scratches and wear, so, rather than hide the issue and protect from the next issue, I went with a spray in liner.

I opted for a Bullet Liner for a few reasons.
It shares a lifetime warranty the same as Rhino and Line-X.
It's similar in hardness despite being on a different hardness scales (A vs D).
It has significantly more elongation than standard Line-X (150% vs 93%).
It is supposed to be substantially more resistant to UV than Line-X and Rhino with no fading or chalking.
It looks better than standard Line-X and the upgraded Line-X were not in my budget.

Obviously only time and use will tell, which is where this forum comes into play.

I attached the specs for Bullet Liner here:
https://www.bulletliner.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Bullet-liner-1-rev3.pdf

I attached the specs for Line-X here:
http://www.linex.com/news/2015/08/06/bedliner-indestructible

I considered Rhino as well, but heard they had a softer liner. Nonetheless, I called the local Rhino installer for a quote and direction to specs of their liner. I had already completed an email quote request with no reply a week earlier but I thought I'd try the old fashioned way; talking to people. There are specs online for various Rhino products, but it seems I need a decoder ring to figure out which formula to look at.

The guy answered the phone, I explained that I sent an email request for a quote through their site a week ago and didn't hear back, so I was looking for a quote. The guy said ok and then an awkward pause. His tone was like I was asking him for a huge favor and he didn't seem to care that I wanted to pay him money despite getting no response to my email. He gave me the quote and I didn't bother asking any questions. Why? If I can't get your interest by trying to give you $525.00, what happens when I have a warranty issue. Not a chance this guy was getting my money, I don't care of he said he'd do it for $100.

Long story short, application and warranty are key with spray in liners. Warranty doesn't mean anything if the installer is doing sub-par work all the time.

Sooo, I was hoping that we could generate some information for the next guy or gal deciding whether they should spend $100 on a bed mat, $200 on a Weathertech type floor and tailgate liner, $250 on a plastic drop-in, $400 on a modular unit, or $500 and up on a spray in liner. Share your experiences, first hand only please. Of course we prefer photos.

Here's a quick video they did of my truck and posted on their site.
https://www.facebook.com/BulletLinerOfCentralMass/videos/394515494292046/?hc_ref=ARRonp4WpUy01VI0yuvYqvqavDu60z-mZsuXVkuXoId_AiDRTNiWl-V6ctQFt68PTo8&fref=nf

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I voted "Other".

My truck came with the factory spray in liner. Some research shows its actually supposed to be pretty good (I think someone on this forum posted a link to the company Mopar uses to do the spray in). I love how I can put something in the bed, drive around and it will still be in the same place.

My only issue is that its really hard on the knees. Ive never had a spray in liner before and love the durability (Ive already slid pallets across it, etc) but when I was detailing the truck and installing the tonneau cover its really hard to kneel in the bed.

So, I have a BedRug ready to install. I figure it will keep the stock liner in pristine shape along with making it more comfortable to be in the bed for whatever reason. Obviously Ill lose the holding ability that the spray in liner provides, but Ill just get some extra tie downs instead.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have been going to the same Line-X dealer for years. They are fast, close to me, do a good job and prices are inline with what others charge. So there is really no reason for me to go out of my way to do elsewhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I voted "Other" as well because I too have a factory spray-in liner. But I also went overboard and installed a DEEZEE rubber mat on my 5'7" bed to give my knees a break.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Love my Rhino lining. I also had it sprayed on the silver brush-guard in the integral bumper on my Rebel. Looks great.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I voted "Other" as well because I too have a factory spray-in liner. But I also went overboard and installed a DEEZEE rubber mat on my 5'7" bed to give my knees a break.
I should have had an option for factory sprayed.:doh:
It looks like I can't add the option now. Mods? Admin? Or am I just missing where I can edit the poll.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Other for Factory liner, which is pretty nice to me and looks as good as Line-X ones done locally.

I don't do major abusive loads, but have no reservation with a typical use profile. I've cut and hauled dozens of loads of cut down trees for firewood, wood was tossed into bed and never was damaged and cleaned out with hose. During our home renovations I hauled loads of heavy trash, sharp and bent metal, glass, broken tile, wood and nails and had zero damage, no scratches, no dents clean with hose and water.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I voted "Other".

My truck came with the factory spray in liner. Some research shows its actually supposed to be pretty good (I think someone on this forum posted a link to the company Mopar uses to do the spray in). I love how I can put something in the bed, drive around and it will still be in the same place.
Other for Factory liner, which is pretty nice to me and looks as good as Line-X ones done locally.
I would have been happy if my truck came with the factory sprayed liner, $450 is a good price for it as a factory option, especially if it holds up as well as it should.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm on my 3rd truck in a row with Line-X, and I wouldn't go anywhere else. That's not to say other options aren't just as high quality, but for me, it's the total package- not just the product, but the dealer who sells/applies the liner, and my Line-X guy is, in a couple of words, freakin' great. I live just south of Wilmington NC, and I drove to North Charleston SC to get it done- well worth it. The price was right, it takes very little time, the waiting area is nice- even had Death Wish coffee brewing (a big plus for me!!!), damn near a Lexus-like experience (if you've ever taken a Lexus into the service dept, you'll understand what I mean). One thing about me- if a place treats me well, I'm fiercely loyal.
By contrast, when I had my '08 Dodge Ram, I contacted the local Rhino Liner dealer. He wouldn't touch the truck for 3 weeks, then I had to drop it off at 6:30AM, leave it all day, and pick it up no later than 4:30, unless he didn't get to it, in which case it would spend the night and they would do it the next day. Eff that- Line-X, here I come.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My Ram has the factory spray-in. Voted "other". This was one of the features that I was looking for when I purchased the truck.

I researched spray-in liners and read up as much as I could find, i.e., "after market spray-ins are soooo much better because they are thicker and the warranty is longer, they are very meticulous, blah, blah, blah." At the time, I was hoping that the factory spray was sprayed on before they painted the bed with it's final paint/clearcoat, hence no sanding, no missing spots, no waiting for after market spray, etc.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I don't have my trucks sprayed with Line-X before it is delivered
It slows delivery time down by a few days

They build 4 door Rams at Mound Road. Warren Michigan, that will be Sterling Heights Michigan for 2019 model Rams

They have to truck Rams to Ground Effects Ltd at Concept Dr, Warren, MI to get sprayed with Line-X by robots, after they are sprayed, they have to be trucked back to Mound Rd to be loaded onto the freight train.

When i have the local Line-X do the spraying, it takes about 3 hours total & i am supporting a local vendor.
I have had 3 trucks sprayed by that local shop & for the last one, they knocked $25 off the price, my dealership uses the same location & they don't get a discount :)

When the Rams are all built in Sterling Heights, the trucks will use the same Ground Effects Ltd location, 17 miles one way trip

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
I added the option for the factory liner, unfortunately I couldn't reset the poll so that those who voted "other" could recast their votes. I tried by resetting all the counters to zero but then it wouldn't let anyone recast their votes so I had to recreate the thread. Still learning the mod thing lol.

In the future if you guys need me to do something like this you can shoot me a PM, I have the power to edit/delete/modify threads as a mod. I just haven'/t been very active lately as my wife and I are going to visit my parents next week and we are trying to get ready for the movers to come while also renting a house 1100 miles away.

My dad has an Ameriguard liner in his Ram because that is the brand used by the shop his dealer (Fiesta Dodge) sent Rams to when they included a spray in liner with a truck.

I have a Line-X liner in my Ram because that is the brand used by the shop my dealer (Boerne Dodge) sent Rams to when they included a spray in liner with a truck.

There's not a noticeable difference in quality and they have both held up very well to rough use. I've said it before and I'll say it again, prep work makes more of a difference for spray in liners than the brand does. I am not sure what all the differences are among the various polymer formulas, but I think two shops of the same brand that do different quality prep work will show more of a difference than two shops of different brands that do the same quality prep work.

Rhino does seem to be a bit softer IMHO so I think it probably is a bit grippier and would prevent sliding better. Also may be easier on the knees.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I added the option for the factory liner, unfortunately I couldn't reset the poll so that those who voted "other" could recast their votes. I tried by resetting all the counters to zero but then it wouldn't let anyone recast their votes so I had to recreate the thread. Still learning the mod thing lol.

In the future if you guys need me to do something like this you can shoot me a PM, I have the power to edit/delete/modify threads as a mod. I just haven'/t been very active lately as my wife and I are going to visit my parents next week and we are trying to get ready for the movers to come while also renting a house 1100 miles away.
Thanks for adding the option, I imagine mods have plenty to stay on top of, so I was going to give it some time before asking for a help via PM.

It sounds like you have a whole lot of important home-life stuff happening, and it sounds like good things. Good luck orchestrating everything, I'm sure you have it all nailed down though.

I have moved more times than I care to count, mostly packing and moving my family and my mom-in-law, so I feel your pain on moving. When we moved to New Hampshire we lived in California, bought our new house, sold our old house, packed two houses (ours and mom-in-law's), and drove 3100 miles with a 26' Penske truck towing a car hauler and a SUV towing an enclosed trailer; It was quite the convoy.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
Thanks for adding the option, I imagine mods have plenty to stay on top of, so I was going to give it some time before asking for a help via PM.

It sounds like you have a whole lot of important home-life stuff happening, and it sounds like good things. Good luck orchestrating everything, I'm sure you have it all nailed down though.

I have moved more times than I care to count, mostly packing and moving my family and my mom-in-law, so I feel your pain on moving. When we moved to New Hampshire we lived in California, bought our new house, sold our old house, packed two houses (ours and mom-in-law's), and drove 3100 miles with a 26' Penske truck towing a car hauler and a SUV towing an enclosed trailer; It was quite the convoy.
Yeah you can bug me any time, I may just not get back to you for a couple days. I do logistics for a living so the moving part is pretty easy, the hard part is getting my wife to believe I have it all under control :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I had the same problem our first couple of moves. Same with packing. My wife has gotten past the are you sure this will fit question. Now she trusts when I say it will fit and we will make it on time.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had the same problem our first couple of moves. Same with packing. My wife has gotten past the are you sure this will fit question. Now she trusts when I say it will fit and we will make it on time.
My apologies because I just read that as "now she thrusts when I say it will fit".....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a lowly drop in Pendaliner. I'm not crazy about it, but it does it job. This summer I plan to get the Herculiner roll on kit and roll my bed. I can't afford $400.00 for a spray in so that is my only option right now. My father in law has a Line X on his 2000 Tundra, and its held up quite well.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have a lowly drop in Pendaliner. I'm not crazy about it, but it does it job. This summer I plan to get the Herculiner roll on kit and roll my bed. I can't afford $400.00 for a spray in so that is my only option right now. My father in law has a Line X on his 2000 Tundra, and its held up quite well.
My old truck had the factory Nissan drop in. Held up great through the weekly beatings I gave it....in some ways its probably better than spray in.

The only suggestion I have is to make sure you pull it off once or twice a year and clean underneath it. All the dirt, mulch, leaves, etc that I didnt clean under mine held moisture and caused the bed to rust at the seams between the panels that made up the bed (straight through in some spots)

·
Registered
44 Posts
My old truck had the factory Nissan drop in. Held up great through the weekly beatings I gave it....in some ways its probably better than spray in.

The only suggestion I have is to make sure you pull it off once or twice a year and clean underneath it. All the dirt, mulch, leaves, etc that I didnt clean under mine held moisture and caused the bed to rust at the seams between the panels that made up the bed (straight through in some spots)
I plan to one day when I have the pressure washer out. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have the Bed Rug, I bought my truck used and it came with it. Took it out and tried to sell it when I bought the truck but had NO interest so I put it back in. So far actually its not doing to bad.. my preference would be a rubber bed mat like I had in my last truck.. but there you go!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts