DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am trying to buy a 2013 2500 in NY. The dealer bought the truck in canada and apparently dodge will not carry over their warranty program to the US. I called a dodge dealership to see if i could buy an extened warranty through them and they told me that they can not do it because the truck is from canada.

so my only option is to go with a third party warranty company. I know that there are a lot of scams out there and im trying to avoid those companies. any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
From a service advisor that has dealt with alot of aftermarket warranties I will tell you 100% stay away from anything through the mail. We sell aftermarket warranties on ALL of our GM vehicles regardless of there country of origin, as long as the customer wants it. NY might be different about that but I would check other dealerships. You can have a GM extended warranty on your Ram, FYI. Honestly the ONLY safe place to by a good warranty is through the dealerships. Go to the service desk and ask them which one approves the most work without sending an inspector. Also ask them which one they like to deal with the most. The service dept. will give you the best answer because the better warranties bring in more money to the shop and are less stressful to work with.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Couldn't believe the price on my used 14 Sport at the Chevy dealer I have bought my last four vehicles from. They said it was a Canadian truck so the warranty didn't apply so they got it cheap. I said no warranty no sale. They handle Fidelity Warranty and say they have for years with good luck. They folded it into the final price which was still low enough to allow me to replace the engine for the cost difference.

I have the platinum warranty (read Best) but no data on how good or bad it is. I still have the Chevy dealer to go after so we'll see. The internet doesn't have the best reviews but the dealer says they are fine and they've been around 36 yrs so we'll see.

Not a recommendation nor being critical of them but I'm comfortable.

Like above, I'd deal with someone locally so there a face to look at.

Good luck, Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AAA has recently started offering extended warranties so im going to give them a call. i have been a member for 10 years. i would think they would be a safe bet?

the guy that i always deal with at west herr in buffalo said that it is a chrysler/dodge/ram thing that they dont roll that factory warranty over from canada to the US. GM and Ford however, do transfer their warranty.

·
Registered
242 Posts
AAA is a decent extended warranty but the repairs have to be done at an authorized AAA repair facility. Two weeks ago we had a customer in that had that coverage and had recently had repairs done at another shop. The repairs that where done where done wrong and we had to fix their mistake. During this process we had recieved a copy of the customers last repair bill and the previous shop had charged AAA 3 times the true labor hours for the repair. My only concern with this is that it only takes a few shops to ruin this program for AAA and their customers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts