DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Power Wagon (~18,000 miles) with the stock BF Goodrich AT tires on (285 70 R17 D). The last two winters I've noticed poor deep snow drivability compared to other vehicles. Usually the snow I was driving on had a hard/drifted/packed underlayer of snow with a top coating of fresh powder snow. Depth of the snow was no higher than the bottom portion of the axles. The last time I got stuck I had two things going against me:
1. The psi of the tires were maxed out at around 65 psi.
2. The temperature was -40 degrees F with the wind chill, so my tires were rock hard.
3. Barely any weight in the box.
I'm looking at buying a dedicated winter tire for next season so I can continue to enjoy my snow driving. I baby my truck during the warmer months, so it rarely sees deep mud. After reading countless forums, it seems as though people have chosen Wrangler Duratrac tires over my BF Goodrich ATs for winter driving or snow plowing. In fact, the new Power Wagon models have the Duratrac tire as the stock tire from the factory. I'm assuming that since the Duratracs are winter rated, have larger grooves (and side gripping), better siping, and have more sidewall flex etc., are what allows the superb deep snow performance.
Has anyone compared these tires (Duratrac vs BFG ATs) on the same model of vehicle while driving in deep snow? In the same price and tire category, would anyone recommend anything else? I've also read the siped mud tires work well too, but I don't know if I would need anything that aggressive. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My BFG Rugged terrains are not good in the snow either. I am getting Duratracs next, I have a coworker that put the duratracs on his Ram and he loves them

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
for normal roads & especially sand, a wide tire is a good thing
On snowy roads you want a thinner foot print, you don't want to float on top of the snow

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you want a dedicated snow tire I would look a lot further than a Wrangler product.
I have had the misfortune of many types of Wrangler named products ranging from AT's on an XJ ,RT's on a Blazer and HP's and SRA's on my Ram's.
They have all been entry level tires in my opinion with zero traction in wet or snowy and questionable in dry. The upside with the hard compound tires is tread wear but I would prefer the safety of a better tire.
I'm not bashing Goodyear the best snow's I had were Ultra Grip's on my Blazer and a kick ass set of performance gatorbacks on my Charger.
I also wasn't to impressed with Firestone Winterforce on my 09 Ram but the General Altimax I installed on my 14 have been fine so far.
In short , just because it is "snowflake rated" doesn't make it a snow tire , in my opinion anyway....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not a very big Goodyear fin but did like the Silent armors when I had them on my JK. Did very well in deep snow. Haven't had a chance to test my RF10's yet.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I HATE Firestone but their Blizzaks are superb winter tire. Soft and grip. Friends own Silent Armour and am seriously thinking of them for next go round.

Best vehicle I ever had, for snow, using regular radials was Dodge Omni. Skinny tire and tall, for its size. got around great.
Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
I leaning toward Bridgestone Blizzack for my 14 CC. Also had the Firestone Winterforce on our Honda Civic, and Volvo S40AWD and loved them.:smiley_thumbs_up: Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if it came down to BF Goodrich AT vs Wangler Duratrac in deep snow (not counting icy roads), which of the two do you guys think would be better?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Go for the Duratracs. My cousin has em on his Tundra with a supercharger. I have the GY Wrangler Armortrac's on my 05. They are surprisingly good and a lot cheaper. I've driven thru snow deep enough that the rear differential plowed it all the way. There is a limit to how deep snow or mud that you can plow thru, regardless of tires, believe me, haha.

·
Registered
15,704 Posts
Go for the Duratracs. My cousin has em on his Tundra with a supercharger. I have the GY Wrangler Armortrac's on my 05. They are surprisingly good and a lot cheaper. I've driven thru snow deep enough that the rear differential plowed it all the way. There is a limit to how deep snow or mud that you can plow thru, regardless of tires, believe me, haha.
getting high centered sux!

·
Registered
15,704 Posts
getting high centered sux

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have Duratacs. Great tire. Half inch of tread when new. Great tire first winter, good tire second winter, ok tire third winter. Half inch of tread when new. By the third winter, down to quarter inch of tread. Not the quietest tire. But very predictable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have general grabber a/t 2 there snow flake rated ( which means nothing as others have stated there are shitty tires with snowflake rated and they suck).. I have had no issues in any snow condition yet with these from deep snow to a dusting They have been through all and perform great.. Good luck choosing i know i had a hard time picking also .. Duratracs are a great tire too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 33" duratracs on my current 4dr wrangler and on snow and ice they are awesome in the great white north. Best set of tires i have run as an "all season"

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just put Rancho Quick-Lift struts and rear shocks on my truck back in the middle of January, finally. I'm running 35.0-12.5R20 Kumho Road Venture MT KL-71's on my stock Laramie wheels with 10mm hub centric/wheel centric spacers on all 4 corners. We had almost 3 feet of snow a couple of weeks ago, and these tires have been awesome in the snow. Very pleased with them. They hum on the highway, but nothing really bad. -Glen

·
Registered
247 Posts
loving my Duratracs this winter! Severe Snow rated, and not too shabby in the mud!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have Firestone Winterforce on my Ram and love them. We got a good dumping of snow here about a couple weeks ago and I went out driving down unplowed roads etc to test them. Didn't feel out of control or like I was going to get stuck once.

I had a set on my Charger too, and it performed really well in the snow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts